Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Block

Well, hell, I can't think of anything of interest to write about.  I even ran upstairs and got my 5th grade diary to spark my creativity but nothing's grabbing my attention.  Well, one entry, which is very poorly written, did remind me of an incident that occurred the summer between 4th and 5th grade.  My grandmother and I had flown to Oklahoma to visit my aunt and uncle and my 2 cousins.  My girl cousin, Karen, was 13 that summer, I think, and I thought she walked on water.  I thought my OK cousins had THE LIFE.  They had a pool in their backyard and their mom and dad were way cooler than mine.  My diary entries about our visit to their house mostly detail how awed I was that we were flying at 35,000 feet which was SEVEN MILES.  Ooh, interesting, I know.  I also spent all of my money, which was about 5 bucks, on stickers and I got in trouble when I got back home.


At some point towards the end of our visit, Karen and I had gotten permission to camp out in the backyard.  We decided where we were going to put up the tent (I assume we were going to sleep in a tent) and came busting back through the garage so we could get all of our stuff together.  We were both barefoot and I failed to notice the charcoal lighter leaning up against the wall of the garage.  The charcoal lighter that was cooling off in the garage because it had been IN THE GRILL.  I must have bumped it or knocked it over and I stepped right on top of it.  I thought I had been electrocuted because it hurt so badly.  I was hopping around on one foot, probably crying, and Karen said, " Don't look at it!  Don't look at your foot!"  Of course, that made me freak out even more.  My grandmother, aunt and uncle took me to the hospital with a dutch oven full of water for my foot on the floor of the car.  When we got to the hospital, I was taken into a "trauma room" which scared me.  The rather anticlimactic end to this story is that my foot was all bandaged up and I couldn't walk on it.  The best part of the whole experience was that I got to use crutches for a few days and I thought I was the bomb.  (I was not).  I cannot remember if it was after I burned my foot or broke my arm that Meredith and I were playing horses and I pretended to be a lame horse because I was injured.  I was definitely lame, that's for sure.

Oh, but y'all.  I was just flipping through my diary and I saw mention of one of my teachers that I had that year in 5th grade.  Something horrible happened in her class that year and LUCKILY, I wrote about it in my writer's notebook for school to share with the kids so I will share it with all of you too!  Later, of course.  Gotta save up my good ideas for the rest of the month.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A LAME HORSE. HAHAHAHAHA. I do not remember that, but that is beyond funny.

I was so freaking jealous of you after you burned your foot and got to use crutches.

Marissa said...

seriously i love you. you spending all your money on stickers and playing a lame horse is sooooooo YOU even now today. LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous that you kept diaries growing up. how fun to read back on those memories!! I'm trying to remember who our 5th grade teachers were...hmmm...if only my memory did not suck! DO SHARE!!