Friday, September 21, 2007

Pictures

I've been trying to think how I can make my blog more interesting but I think perhaps I might just be a boring person. As a wise guidance counselor at my junior high once said, "If you are bored, then you are a boring person." Or maybe it was my 8th grade pre-algebra teacher who said that.

There are house pictures on Flickr now. I never put them up after the last time I posted. The closing date is tentatively set for October 9. I'm not sure how we're going to fool with the logistics of moving while trying to work at the same time. This week we were notified by our builder that the wood burning fireplace that we paid for and they installed was, in fact, not allowed with the type of chimney that's on our house. A wood burning fireplace requires a brick chimney which is out of code for the neighborhood or something. So they are installing gas logs. I am kind of ticked off about that. If I had known that a gas fireplace was our only option, I don't know that we would have gotten a fireplace. Also, it seems that the builder WOULD HAVE KNOWN that as they are the ones who are creating the neighborhood. Oh well.

David and I are thinking of switching churches. There is one out in the country near our new house that I think I would like to try. I love the choir at our current church and the people are great but I am not a fan of the interim pastor and there has been a lot of upheaval at the church in the past year and a half. Plus there are not a whole lot of young families at our current church and I would like to see more of that in a church.

Finally, I must complete my yearly rant about book fairs. I think book fairs are a good idea and they help the school and I love to see what books the kids get. I also like purchasing books for my classroom. But I DESPISE all the crap that comes along with the book fair like giant pencils, pens with pom poms on the ends of them, stickers for a cell phone and other junk like that. It infuriates me that that kind of merchandise is included at a BOOK fair. Book fair. Not crap fair. Kids can go to Claire's at the mall and buy all that junk. It seems to me that if we want to encourage kids to read and people are always railing on and on about the sad state of our schools that we should not be selling JUNK at a book fair. It seriously annoys me.

Tomorrow we will celebrate Maggie's 2nd birthday! I'll update with pictures when I have a chance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hereby solemnly swear that I will hold a crap-free book fair, unless of course we can make a ton more money by selling the crappy toys and pencils, in which case I will totally compromise my principles. Because the profits are for the kids, ya know.

Educationally yours,
Kimmie

Anonymous said...

happy birthday weekend maggie :-)
the house looks like a wonderful home... i'm sure you will enjoy it!

love ya lots,
xo-beth