Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Plague has visited our house

We are slowly recovering. David started feeling badly on Wednesday and decided to stay home on Thursday. Wednesday night, Maggie was fussing and complaining that her tummy hurt. I will admit, I have a tendency to downplay the "my tummy hurts" thing because she says it rather frequently. She cried and I didn't want her sleeping with us because David didn't feel well but I finally got her to go to bed in her crib. She woke up crying and when I went in there, she had thrown up. I cleaned her up and changed her bed and rocked her and she reluctantly went back to bed. Trust me when I say she reluctantly went back to bed. The next morning, I went in to check on her and she had thrown up again and I guess I had never heard her in the night. SIGH. Bad mommy alert. So, I called in for Thursday and stayed home with Maggie. We spent most of the day on the couch and she about ran me ragged with her demands for juice and her slippers and a sweatshirt and her blankie and a million other things. She seemed healed by the evening and she and I went back to school on Friday. David is getting better but I think I am getting the disease now. Ugh. Thank goodness this has not been a repeat of last year's illness extravaganza.

Last Sunday, I found "Annie" on AMC so we watched it while we, yes, ate dinner. Maggie was ENTHRALLED.

She sat there with her mouth hanging slightly open. She liked the Rockettes and "Let's Go to the Movies" the best, I think. I love that part too.

More "Annie" viewing with spoon in mouth. Note black socks and black patent leather shoes with pink fleece pants. Guess who picked out her own outfit?


I believe we have discussed Maggie's ear wax on here before. This is gross, I know. Anyway, I have never cleaned her ears because it is very difficult and nothing comes out and I don't want to shove stuff down in there any further. I had heard of so-called Asian ear sticks on various blogs which is what people in Asia use to clean their ears. Also, it is apparently a very intimate and pleasant thing to have done. I guess that's what they wanted to do when they offered to clean my ears at the China Hotel in Guangzhou. Heh. So anyway, this is what an Asian ear stick looks like.

One day in class, I asked one of my Korean students if I could ask him a gross question. He looked a little alarmed but told me yes. I asked if he cleaned his ears and if so, if he used Q tips. He said, "yeah, " and I said, "So you don't use a stick or anything?"
"Uh, no." Then he saw the above picture on my computer and said, "Oh, THOSE! Yeah, we use those! My mom has a bunch!! Ooh, do you want me to bring you one?"
"UM, YES!" I said. He concurred that his ear wax was drier than say, mine and then he told me that mine was probably more like Shrek's. HAHA. We're all about the honesty in my classroom.
So the next day, my student brought me an ear cleaner (sans fuzzy thing on the end) and I took it home and got to work on Maggie's ears! WOO. All I'm going to say is I bet she can hear a lot more clearly now.
This is her taking a look at my Shrek ears. She wanted to use the stick but I wouldn't let her. Unfair, huh?


Also, note that Maggie has a dress on over her clothes there. That is one of her new outfits for summer and she LOVES IT. She didn't wear it to school that day but she saw it when she got home and put it on immediately. It might sort of look like a nightgown. It hadn't been washed yet in these pictures so maybe it shrunk a little.

Maggie and I have paid a visit to the local library for the past 2 Saturdays and it is so much fun! Why have we not gone there before? There are toys and puppets and puzzles and books, of course, and other kids. Last week, we went and looked around and picked a few books and then we went to the adult section for 1 minute (that sounds like I went to the p0rn section) and I quickly grabbed a few books for me and then we went back and played and played. Way fun.

I love this picture.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't remember Maggie looking like thaT5! hanks for refreshing my memory!

Mom

Tigger said...

Allison,

I am so impressed you were able to get Maggie's ears clean by yourself. It take at least me and the nurse to hold Emma down to have hers done! I hope you are all feeling better really soon.

Brooke

Marissa said...

so is that nifty stick like the size of a q-tip? how intriguing! you'll have to find out where to get more! :)

Anonymous said...

hey so i couldn't sleep and thought i'd surf the web for awhile and ran across this blog you wrote about "ear pickers"! I laughed out loud just now when I read this because my infamous boyfriend -whom no one in the family has met- uses these! I have to admit when I first heard of them I thought the whole idea of "picking" your ears was... well, really gross! But Brad being of Chinese decent has used one since he was a baby, or his mom used it on him --and he still uses one and has even talked me into letting him clean my ears on a few occasions... To tell the truth it is actually supposed to be very soothing and relaxing, which it is as long as you don't go too far and poke at your eardrums.. lol. I'm sure I could find you a couple either here or through his mom in australia if you want me to look for you.. :)just let me know.. oh and as much as I'm sure he'd appreciate that I was enlightening all about this don't ever tell him I wrote about him and his "ear picker" on your blog lol.. talk to you soon cous... lizbeth

Anonymous said...

oh and another side note... Brad once told me that ear pickers are more comfortable to use especially on those of Asian decent because a lot of Asian's have a different consistency to their wax which is more grainy than people of European decent. Now I don't know if this is completely true because I've never really looked into it but I thought you might be interested to hear that... happy "picking" :0) Lizbeth