Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Giving thanks

Alrighty, on Monday we were supposed to do something for a poor family we personally know, but I couldn't think of anyone. BUT, we did take an angel off the angel tree at the gym so on Saturday, we did our shopping for the 4 year old girl whose name we drew. Maggie helped pick out a Memory game, some Play doh, a Dora coloring book and an outfit. I love doing stuff like that. I hope Maggie will learn to love it too. We also put a dollar in our gold box.


Today when I picked Maggie up at school, the kids had "written" letters to Santa. Maggie's said that she wanted a dollhouse and books. I've got the books covered but just between us, Santa's not bringing a dollhouse. I thought she wanted a video game! This was the first I heard of a dollhouse! I told Maggie on the way home that Santa might not bring all of that and she might just get one thing. She told me, "I'm going to be upset if I just get one present!" Yikes. We've gotta work on the giving thing some more and we will.

On Sunday night, we also put up our Christmas tree. It looks so pretty but I don't really have many great pictures of the final product. Rege and Barb brought their artificial tree out and gave it to us because they said it was just too big for their house. Maggie helped quite a bit so we ended up with lots of ornaments around the bottom third of the tree. David went back and did some doctoring after she went to bed.


Maggie really liked this ornament.
I think she called it a seed.

On Tuesday, we were supposed to be thankful that we were not starving like much of the world and put in a penny for each overweight pound. UGH. There's only one overweight person in my house and it's not David or Maggie. I put in some money. Let's just leave it at that.

Then today, we gave thanks for peanut butter and jelly! Seven cents for each jar of PB and 3 cents for each jar of jelly. Ten cents if anyone ate a PB&J (David did) today.


Tonight, Maggie and I picked up dinner at a Chinese restaurant and took it to David at school. Then we stayed for the basketball game. The kids behind us were calling "Air ball! Air ball!" during one of the free throws and Maggie said, "Mommy, those kids are saying el-bow, el-bow!" Hee! Maggie was HIGHLY interested in the cheerleaders and watched them for most of the game. She also watched a lot of high schoolers beating each other in the head with those inflatable thunder sticks. I am getting too old to sit on gym bleachers, I think. Or my rear end is.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could a parent ever redecorate a Christmas tree? Guilty
Mom

Gramma said...

Maybe this will help. I read in the comments on another blog that when the commentor was a child she could ask Santa for three things and Santa could bring all of the desired items or ,maybe, one desired gift and two surprises or any variation thereof including bringing three surprises.She said that gave Santa a lot of leeway when it came to finances or availability of any certain item.

Kristi said...

Yeah, guilty of redecorating the tree here too ~ but in our defense, a tree does look funny when only the bottom third has anything more than lights...

Maggie's hair is so long and pretty!