Wednesday, November 12, 2008

bleh

I feel kind of crabby.  I had a good day at school although I don't want to write too much about it for fear it will come back to haunt me.  Google Ch@rlotte Meck1enburg Sch00ls and F@ceb00k if you want to see what happened around here as of late.  Well, not HERE at my house, as what happened did not have a thing to do with me, thank goodness.  I would die a thousand deaths if I got in trouble for what's on my Facebook page, which is precisely why I don't have much of interest on there other than I play Word Challenge rather obsessively, yet still SUCK at it.


Anyway, I went to observe at another middle school this morning that has fully implemented the teaching model we're supposed to be using and about which I had essentially no clue.  Now, I have a clue and I told my kids that things are going to change on Monday!  They were scared and wanted to know if that meant I was going to be meaner.  Heck yeah, it does!  No, not really.  It's more student driven, rather than the teacher blathering on forever.  I love a good lecture now and again but it's better if the kids learn it themselves.  This middle school is in a high poverty, low income (don't those really go together without actually saying it?) area and has an extremely high minority population as well as many English language learners.  So there are all sorts of obstacles for both the teachers and the kids.  They have done all sorts of innovative things to help the kids though and I was super impressed.  One of the classes I observed today was a single gender (boys) class and it rocked!  I went to an all girls junior high (public) and it was really fun.  Well, except for when my Guess jeans got stolen from the locker room in PE and the principal was more upset that I was breaking dress code because I had to wear my PE UNIFORM to class than the fact that I had no pants.  But there were no boys, so who cared?  Also, I went to a women's college, so obviously, I am a fan of the single gender education.

We got to go out to lunch after we were done observing and I tell you what, there is nothing that makes me feel more like an adult than actually getting to LEAVE the workplace and go out to eat during the day.  Eating in the school cafeteria is just as yucky as you remember it.  Except I am way less snooty about the food nowadays and just eat it if I forget my lunch.  Before, I acted like I was being asked to eat straight from the dumpster.  Which reminds me of the time I lost my retainer (okay, bionater, if we're being fully honest) in junior high and I KNEW someone stole it.  Which, if they did, gross.  Anyway, I had to go out to the dumpster to look for it.  I opened the lid, saw a bunch of rotting cabbage, closed the lid and told my  mom I didn't know what happened to it.

Well, I should wrap this up because David has a Civ date at 8.  I don't have any new pictures of Maggie to pacify the Complaint Department but I'll work on that tomorrow.  I promise!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I guess a public forum and workng for the public sort of don't go together. Why wouldn't they have figured out that parents and kids could "search" for them, find them and possibly read their posts. Oops. Well, you are doing better than I am in almost every game. They are addictive. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

So that is what happened to that expensive piece of plasticand metal!

You know me

Anonymous said...

You're not alone - I liked girls jr high too. however, I was always a fan of school lunches. I know, I'm weird. haha I'm looking forward to eating lunch with Evan someday in the cafeteria. :)

Anonymous said...

sigh....

Rebecca said...

I had a bionator too but in 3rd grade. Wasn't that thing gigantic? Did you have to turn yours with a key? I threw my retainer away at Converse in the dining hall and I DID NOT search for it.