Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Insomnia

I can't sleep. It is very rare that I can't sleep. But lately, I lay down in bed at night, read my book for a while, turn out the light and it's like my mind starts racing. I start thinking about a million things, mostly related to the adoption. I've tried deep breathing, relaxing myself from my toes up, thinking about other stuff and none of it works. Usually, I just get so tired that I fall asleep. Then I wake up again and again and the cycle starts all over. I've been up since about 4:15. At least I don't have to go to work during the summer so if I get up in the middle of the night, it's okay. During the school year, I freak out and think "I need to be sleeping, I need to be sleeping." I read somewhere that the insomnia would go away once we had our referral, but it seems like mine waited to start until after referral. Guess I'll go read my book and try to will myself to be sleepy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to wonder how in the world people could not sleep, but now I get it. I have the same problem when I'm keyed up about work. It kind of blows. Although I never get out of bed, I just lay there and sweat it out.

This is probably good practice for you, though - imagine all the sleepless nights you're going to have when Maggie gets sick or has a fight with her best friend or stays out past curfew...

Anonymous said...

I'm a night person. It's just the way it is. I want to be a morning person, and go to bed at a reasonable hour, but I can't. It's pointless.

Sigh.

Jon said...

I used to get insomnia when school was out for summer because I didn't have a regular schedule. It went away when I got summer jobs. I don't think you have the time for a summer job though.