Monday, August 14, 2006

Packing for Maggie

Barb came over on Saturday to help me go through Maggie's suitcase and get it all organized and packed up. Whew. How can a baby need so much stuff? Well, she probably doesn't NEED all that stuff but I packed it anyway. Then we took the suitcase to David's mom's to weigh it. It weighed 45 pounds. In-country flights restrict luggage weights to 44 pounds.
Here are some pics for you to enjoy.

Pre-packing mayhem:

Barb is an expert at squishing the air out of Ziploc bags. Louie supervised.

All organized and ready to go!

Too heavy for Daddy!


If you notice that gigantic thing of wipes in the top picture, it is no longer going with us. I weighed it on the digital postal scale and it weighed 4.5 pounds. Uh, no. I bought a smaller pack of wipes to go to China. I have grand plans to teach Maggie sign language so I am taking a baby signs book. I even had a dream about it the other night. All of Maggie's clothes are organized by size in different Ziplocs so if I need a certain size onesie, I can just yell it out to David! I bet once we get Maggie, the organization will go out the window. I probably packed too many clothes, but you know what? I've waited 2 years plus some more time for this so I'm taking as many clothes as I can carry.

I am getting increasingly tense about our trip. This part of the process is more stressful than all the waiting in the world, I think. Continental still has not credited our credit card for the cancelled plane tickets. UGH! I called them earlier today and was on hold forEVER before I hung up. I'll try again tonight because I got ahold of somebody pretty quickly when I called during the evening. I am also trying to decide what to do about a website while we are in China. I would be perfectly happy to use this site but I know that I am going to share our website with my co-workers and David will share it with his students and there are some things on this site that I am not crazy about some people reading. I was going to use the iWeb thing on the laptop but I don't really like it. I'll let you know when I decide something and link it on here. My plan is to keep posting on here once we get back from China.

17 days to go!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, I love an organized suitcase. This one might win the Most Organized Suitcase EVER award. You *must* take a picture of what it looks like once you've gotten Maggie and then right before you leave to come back home -- I bet it will not look quite the same...

Jon said...

Just start a new blog on blogger, have the link only going one way. You are familiar with the software and all, once you are done with it, you can transfer all the stuff to maggiemalady and be done with it. Just a thought! That was a well done suitcase, did the travel restrictions for international flights have any affect on your packing?

Anonymous said...

I want to blow up your picture of the packing and just copy it exactly.

karen/naked ovary

Tamra said...

Oh my goodness! I'm just all tingly and excited for you!!!

toni said...

ok i really hated the wipies in china (they came in really small packages and were folded like a kazillion times, so if you are in a rush to wipe a poopy, wiggly bottom - it is a huge pita)- so brought a ton, here's a tip i was too lazy to try, but thought i'd share w/ you just in case - i've heard if you take the time to dry them all out - just open the lid, i guess, they will weigh a TON less - then you just sprinkle them w/ water when you get to china and voila' wipie magic! but it might not be the effort - but ugh! hated chinese wipies, no problems (blowouts) w./ diapers however ;-)