Maggie and Daddy's DAY OF FUN!
Lately, Maggie has been having a bit of a problem. She is fine and happy and silly all day long. Then when David gets home, she turns into a screaming banshee and neither of us like her very much by the time she goes to bed. I usually vacate the kitchen or wherever to give David some time with her. Maggie will have none of that and usually cries and whines for me. The other night was THE LAST STRAW, when David was getting her ready for bed and she peed all over the changing pad. David asked me for some help and when I went in the nursery, Maggie saw me and started writhing around, reaching out for me and hollering. So I told David that today would be HIS day. He would do everything. And he did. I changed one diaper all day. It was fabulous and Maggie is back in love with her daddy again.
This morning started with David going to get her up. He turned off the baby monitor in her room so as not to disturb me with early morning diaper changing silliness but, unfortunately, that makes the baby monitor part in our room have horrible LOUD static. That was okay, though, because I was already awake, due to Miss Loudmouth. He brought Maggie back to our bed so we could have some snuggling time and Maggie greeted me with an open mouth kiss on the lips. I've been teaching her to give kisses this week and I guess it has sunk in. Talk about making me turn into a puddle! So sweet! David gave her breakfast while I read the paper in a leisurely manner and checked some email without having to worry about her getting impatient because I am not paying attention to her. David bathed her with minimal screaming (only a teeny bit, really).
I am resigned to the necessity of a bath. But I am not happy about it.
Check out my cool squirty toy! Daddy squirts water in my mouth with this! Mommy thinks that's gross.
I was going to go to church because I got drafted to play handbells but David decided that he and Maggie would be heathens rather than attend church, which was fine with me. I had planned on being a heathen as well but that will teach me to answer the phone when I don't recognize the phone number! Just kidding. David asked me to watch Maggie while he took a shower but I refused. Hey, I take a shower every day when I'm here alone. So he packed her up in the high chair with some toys and shut the door in her face while he "attended to business." I think he opened it back up while he was showering. Then I headed off to church and reveled in going to Walgreens alone on the way. David and Maggie went to Walmart while I was gone and it sounds like their trip was a success. Also, she fell asleep in the carseat and instead of waking her up like I would have done, he rolled down the windows and let her sleep while he brought all the bags inside. Much less stressful than either 1. carrying her and a bunch of bags back and forth between the car and the house or 2. listening to her yell while I go back to the car to get more bags.
When I got home, she had already eaten and had drunk 1 1/2 sippy cups of soy milk! We let her try vanilla soy milk and she loved it and she doesn't drink enough, so all you naysayers that think her teeth will rot out of her head, don't tell me. Her teeth get brushed every night. Oh yeah, this morning, I didn't have any more plain soy milk so I had to put Maggie's whole milk on my oatmeal and YUM, that was a tasty treat. It was cream like in its consistency. After David and I ate lunch (Cookout--yum!), David packed Maggie up in the jogging stroller and they took off for a walk around the neighborhood. I caught up on some blogs and generally wasted a good bit of time.
Note David's Cookout cup in the cupholder. Also, the mega bundling was not necessary today.
I am resigned to the necessity of a blanket and a sweatshirt. But I am not happy about it.
Oh wait, we're going for a walk? Never mind! Carry on with the outerwear.
Maggie did fall asleep in the stroller and David wheeled her into the guest room and he set up camp on the computer in there while she snoozed. Like, what the heck am I doing SITTING on the front porch every day? Why did I not think of wheeling her inside? My brain is getting soft in my stay at home mommy stint.
I cut the grass after that so David and Maggie could watch some football. Man, I love to cut the grass. It is very Zen-like, I think. Plus, you can see the fruits of your labors. Kind of like vaccuuming up the tumbleweeds of cat hair that blow about our kitchen from time to time. Our backyard is a nice square and has no trees so it is very easy and mindless to cut. I kind of hate doing the front yard though because it has a big curvy natural area and trees and stupid bushes with a foot of grass in between each one. Then I came in and had to take another shower because the stupid pampas grass feathers blew ALL over me and I was covered in them. Pampas grass is a scourge upon the earth and they should all be burned into ashes.
We went to up David's mom's AFTER I had put on paint stained sweatpants and I wasn't going to change but David told me that I needed to. I guess I looked extra disreputable. We ate dinner and 4 of Maggie's cousins were there--almost 4 Elizabeth, 3 1/2 y.o. Emily, 1 1/2 y.o. Nicklaus and 1 1/2 y.o.Ryan. 3 and almost 4 year old girls are very squealy. Maggie took 3 steps tonight too! David and I think she probably likes being around all the noise and commotion because she seemed very comfortable with boys running around and girls screaming. She was in a very good mood too and played for a long time before we decided we'd better roll on home.
So, David and Maggie's day of fun was a complete success because she went to both of us willingly for most of the day. She whined a little bit when I came inside from cutting the grass for a break but then crawled back to David to play some more. And now, I have just realized that the stench I have been smelling all night is the DOG and I am going to go to bed to escape his odiferousness.
2 comments:
What a good Daddy Maggie has! This cracked me up in so many ways. I had been wondering why you didn't stroll her into the house when she fell asleep, but I assumed that she would wake up as you went over the threshold or something. Well, now you know! Hee.
Oh, Allison! What a hoot you are! David does sound like a wonderful Daddy, but don't forget that you've come up with neat ways to do things, too! Yeah for alone Mommy time! :)Jane
Post a Comment