We survived.
And it was good. This morning was a little rough as Maggie woke up before our scheduled time to awaken her. Why do we think we can schedule anything with a 1 year old? I got her up and dressed her immediately which amused her. I'm sure she was wondering why we weren't lying in the bed and watching the "Today" show. I *almost started crying when I left but I sucked it up and turned my Christmas music way up in the car and felt better. It was fun to get to work and see my friends be excited that I was there. My friend whose room is across a courtyard from mine had put up a sign in her window that said "Welcome Back! I missed you!" I had told David to email me after he got to work and he did, including a picture! He had remembered the camera without being reminded! Yay! He said she was fine, pointing at everything and then she went off with her teacher without a problem. I called during my planning period and they said she had had a great day except she wouldn't drink anything. Maybe she was just being weird because she wouldn't drink anything at home either. She started crying when I came to get her but as soon as I picked her up, she was fine! Her teachers said that they loved her and they wanted to keep her. Also, next Wednesday is pajama day so Maggie gets to wear her PJ's to school! I wish I could wear MY pajamas to school. We used to get to do that sometimes but we don't anymore. I guess there is less chance of 1 year olds wearing skanky pajamas to school.
When we got home, Maggie was in the BEST mood. She babbled and talked to herself and let me fix dinner without crying to be picked up. It was really fun and it made me feel good because that makes me think she had a good day today. She shoveled her dinner in. She ate a TON. Then we played some more, read a few books and I gave her a bath. I put her to bed a little after 7 and when I put her in the crib, she called out "Nigh!" as I was leaving the room. AW! No crying either. Just to add, David is at a sports banquet tonight which is why I did all of this by myself! He wasn't sitting on the couch, yelling at me to bring him his dinner or anything.
My day was not bad either. It really felt good to be productive and talk to my students and my friends. Also, I feel like my transition in was seamless (for me, anyway). It didn't feel weird or uncomfortable like it sometimes does on the 1st couple of days of school. Plus, I got to yell a little bit. Just a little. It went quickly for the most part. We have to do this activity period where we take the kids outside and have organized sports (sort of) and I about FROZE. It is getting extremely cold here.
So, all in all, I am very pleased with today. I think we all had good days. I am definitely going to tell Maggie's teachers tomorrow about what a good mood she was in tonight because that is NOT common. She's usually a complete crank at night. Sorry I do not have any pictures but David has the camera.
2 comments:
What a relief to have that first day over and to have it go so well. And it is a short workweek! Lots to be thankful for.
Ah, relief! I know you were so worried! I'm so glad it went well. It always hurt my feelings a little bit that my kids had so much fun when they were away from me, but I'd be worried if they didn't. I'll never forget the day I came to get M.A. and she screamed, "Go away, Mommy!". Oh, the hurt, but at the same time, it made me feel like a better mother, since I'd chosen that place for her and she obviously loved it! There's just something magical about being surrounded by other kids all day long that we cannot possibly duplicate at home. (Who in the world would want to?) Glad to hear you had a good one, too! :) Jane
Post a Comment