Monday, December 25, 2006

God bless us everyone

I can't figure out if that title needs a comma or not. It looks weird both ways. Anyway. I have managed to wrestle the computer away from David and his Civilization IV wizened hands long enough to post an update since I know you're all dying for one. Our trip down here on Friday was unremarkable other than it rained like you would not believe and Maggie slept for 4 hours in the car. Awesome. Also, I started to buy a Mountain Dew at the fountain at a gas station and then I noticed that there were black chunks floating in it. I went for the hermetically sealed can instead. When we arrived, I don't remember what we did. Probably drank a bottle of wine and went to bed. No, just kidding. But before baby, I was unable to get myself out the door in a timely manner when going to my parents and now post baby, I REALLY cannot get it together.

The next day, we introduced Maggie to Santa "Homer Simpson" Claus. She was unsure at first but now enjoys listening to him sing while I change her diaper. She doesn't like for me to pretend like he's walking toward her though.




This morning, Miss Margaret wanted to get up at 4. Her mother and father did not want to get up at 4. David thought that I didn't hear Maggie crying and made sure to slug me before going across the hall to get her. I did in fact hear her, but I was having this very intense dream about a baby crying. David put her in bed with us and we all went back to sleep. We got up around 6:30, I guess. Christmas morning with a baby is a little different. You can't just start ripping into stuff. You have to feed her and make sure she is set before hitting the presents. Maggie was not overly interested in the presents which made me darn glad that she got exactly 3 things from us and she played with 1 of them before Christmas even got here. Here was her preferred activity this morning.

Yes, playing with wadded up paper was infinitely more interesting than opening presents. And that is my school bag there next to her because I brought about 955,000 papers to grade and BAHAHAHAHA. What was I thinking? I was able to get her to open one present with me but it had clothes in it and she was disappointed that it wasn't a Bratz doll. I was not disappointed.

Maggie received this pigtailed hat from my dad. She keeps ripping it off so I may have to rig up a velcro strap or something because it is DARN cute.

Santa came! Santa came!


We spent most of the day chilling and Maggie took an awesome nap from 11:30 until 2:15 when I finally decided I'd better wake her up.
Here's Maggie bellied up to the coffee table with some goldfish and milk.


And those of you who know my family, yes, we all wore crowns at dinner tonight and yes, we made Maggie wear one.


And in case you're interested, I got some shearling slippers, a silver bracelet with the Chinese character for mama, a gift certifcate to a local salon and spa, pajamas and some other stuff. Maggie received a subscription to Us magazine and dudes, I will totally be reading it first to make sure it is appropriate. David always comes up with clever ways to get around the $50 limit we set for each other and then I come out looking like a loser because I stuck to the budget. So enjoy your computer game and your $3.50 handkerchiefs from JC Penney, honey!

So, Christmas was good this year. Different but good. I remember last year I kept thinking about Maggie the whole time we were opening presents because we THOUGHT we would have a referral by then. Maggie really is the best gift ever. People often write on their blogs that they got the perfect baby for their family. I never really thought much about it before we received Maggie but it really is true. I couldn't have asked for a sweeter, funnier, more perfect baby for us. She is the most wonderful blessing ever and I will be forever thankful for her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is "Good bless us, every one!"

I couldn't resist.

DUDE. You must call and/or email me! I left you a message yesterday!

I AM SO EXCITED! You and Joe are total schemers. The Old Dudes will soon reunite! WOO!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas to everyone there!

Heh.

Anonymous said...

Not "good bless us." GOD bless us.

Sigh.

Stephanie said...

That hat is so cute! Of course, it's helped mightily by the adorableness of its wearer.