Sunday, February 25, 2007

Playing catch up

I kind of don't feel like writing about my problems anymore. I may have been being dramatic last night. Suffice it to say, I need to talk to someone. I'm going to get on that this week. One of my students has found my blog and I'm not super crazy about writing what I want to anymore. But I don't feel like going password protected either. I would love for people to read my blog and think that adoption was a reachable possibility for them too. No one will be able to do that if I'm password protected. I will say for those of you who knew me in college, I am not to the point of lying on the couch in the dark and watching Jerry Springer all morning.

Gosh. It's been a long time since I wrote. Last weekend we went to Myrtle Beach so David could run in the half marathon. It was extremely cold. EXTREMELY. Luckily, Maggie fell asleep just as we were going to get out of the car to watch the finish so I strapped her up in the mei tai, zipped my coat around both of us and we were snuggly warm. We stood next to an extremely loud band at the finish line but she slept through that. We sort of celebrated Chinese New Year in that we ate Chinese food for dinner 2 nights in a row. We forgot Maggie's booster seat at home so she had to sit on either my lap or David's while we ate. That was a teeny bit trying. But it was mostly okay. We stayed in this palace of a house that was very large. I wish we could have stayed longer but we still had a good time. One of the traditions for Chinese New Year is for everyone to get new clothes. I'd say Maggie made out pretty well.

That's mostly clothes for next year, I must say, but she made out with some stuff for now as well. It was super fun. Also, Maggie slept the entire time and even let me try shoes on her while she was sleeping.

Then, this week, David went to Pittsburgh on Tuesday-Thursday so Mom and Dad came up to help me out. Maggie got to ditch daycare for 3 days and I think she was thoroughly worn out by the grandparents. Mom said she fell asleep in the highchair one day. Awesome. Mom and Dad also cut down all our pampas grass, catalogued all the food in our freezer and put up all my Christmas junk that was still out. I used the word "all" 3 times in that last sentence. Maggie also learned how to sneak this past week and spent a long time hiding next to the book case and then walking out in a squat. It is hilarious.

I've got my milk and my baby! Leave us alone!

Oh, my baby. I love you.

She's not as cute as meeeeeeee, though!


Yesterday, Maggie and I relived the old days and took a nice long walk in the neighborhood. Of course she fell asleep so I rolled her inside, turned on the bathroom fan and relaxed. Ahhhh. Then Grandma ReRe got to keep the baby for the afternoon so David and I could go to a movie! It was very exciting. We went to see "The Number 23" which I don't think I would recommend but we had free passes so it was alright. Jim Carrey needs to stop trying so hard. Then we hit BJ's, went to Panera for dinner and David went to AC Moore while I went to Target. It was a very enjoyable afternoon. When we returned to ReRe's, Maggie was dead asleep in the middle of the living room floor. HA! We sat there and talked for at least another hour and she did not budge. Why is it that our laughter in the den while she is sleeping in her room wakes her up but guffawing in the same room doesn't do anything? I told my mom this morning that Maggie may not be allowed to hang out with her grandparents anymore as they all seem to wear her out. Just kidding. Like that's a bad thing.

Today we are laying low because it's raining and very gross outside. We are all wearing lounging clothes.
Maggie is dancing to her Toddler Tunes CD here. And Brooke, thank you for this CD, because I woke up at least twice last night with "Pattycake, pattycake, baker's man" going through my head.

I'm flying! Oh, no. Just sitting on Mommy's shoulders.

Lest you think I'm utterly bummed all the time, I'm not. I promise.

2 comments:

Tigger said...

Hey Allison,

I don't want to be the only one singing kiddie songs to myself in the middle of the night. If I am going to lose it I am taking you along for the ride! Glad Maggie enjoys the CD.

Love,

Brooke

Jon said...

We all do that, sing kiddie tunes, I get into large SUV's or minivans that have those CD's blaring on them, and for the rest of the day, i think about it being a small world afterall. As I read your blog, I don't think it much of a complaint, your pictures show your happiness in your life much better than words. I love reading your blog, not just about the accessibility of adoption, but about the realities of life while being a new parent. I feel more prepared for the pending doom of parenthood and all the joys that make it the greatest investment of time and energy. Don't worry about it, once your student realizes that you are much less interesting thant Britney Spears, and are not like to shave you head, they wont want to read anymore. I love the three of you, very much!