Monday, July 30, 2007

Hmmm

Okay. Maggie went to daycare today, no big deal. I had to move out of my classroom today anyway because I took a teaching job at another school but that's a story for a different day. I picked her up and she seemed fine and was happy to see me. She flipped out a little bit because I wouldn't let her bring her naptime blanket home--not her security blankie--but the one she covers up with. I don't know why I wouldn't let her but I didn't. Bad. We came home and she was her normal self, running around the downstairs and trying to hold onto Grammy's leg while she was cooking and bumping into PapPap's chair while he was asleep in it. She signed eat a few times so she ate some grapes and a piece of cheese. Oh yeah, and she was sharing some popcorn with PapPap and he threw a piece on the floor for the dog. Maggie said, "Mine!" and picked it up and ate it. Hee. Then it was dinnertime and Maggie got VERY upset when I told her it was time to get in her high chair. I've taken the straps off of it so it's not like she's strapped into it anymore. Finally she calmed down enough and David put her in the chair. She ate some peas and some apricots but refused the chicken. Then she started FUSSING and yelling, "All done! All done!" and crying so I finally took her out of the chair and held her. She ate a little more but not much. We decided maybe we would rearrange her room a little bit so we went upstairs and Maggie got upset because she thought it was bedtime. Her crib converts to a toddler bed and then to a double bed so I took the side off of it and she didn't like that very much. David sat on her bed with her but she didn't want to do that at all. Then we put the mattress on the floor and she was sort of okay with it. Then I left to get some teething gel for her and David gave her a bath. He said she was starting to cry but he splashed around and she had fun. When I got home, she and David were sitting on her mattress on the floor reading and she seemed perfectly happy. She started crying when I kissed her goodnight but then she blew a kiss to me and was fine. David laid down with her and was downstairs in 10 minutes. WEIRD. I do not understand her one teeny bit. I think we're going to take her high chair down and let her sit in her booster seat without the tray on it. Y'all! She is not even two yet! I'm having a little trouble with my baby growing up!

So, commenters. I can see you on my site meter. I know you're reading this. Any suggestions? Is she exerting control? Is she being an almost 2 year old? Anything else I could offer her to eat? Maggie hardly eats any meat (the fried bologna in Myrtle Beach was an anomaly) but eats most veggies and fruits.

I think I will stop worrying about us in NY and maybe just let her sleep on a pallet on the floor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job! I can't wait to hear all about it. I'm sure your Crestdale friends will miss you, but it's great that you and David will now be on the same vacation schedule. Poor Maggie - she needs me to come pick flowers and blow bubbles with her so she can get all sticky again (and then take a redneck bath in the sink). Hopefully this is just a phase she's going through and will soon pass. Have fun in NYC!

Reagan

Anonymous said...

OMG! New job! You need to email me. Of course, you can also tell me about it IN PERSON. When you are here in TWO DAYS! WOOOOOO!

I am no expert (obviously), but it seems like she's at the age where she doesn't have enough words to express exactly what she wants, so she gets all frustrated, and she also is testing boundaries, exerting control, blah blah.

That said, I haven't the faintest idea what you do about it, except that with the eating you're supposed to act like you don't care what/how much she eats, because if she senses that it's a big deal she will TORTURE you with her refusal to eat what you put in front of her.

Maybe she will eat New York bagels, and you can take a truckload home with you.

Anonymous said...

We will solve all the problems at mochas tomorrow-- or at least analyze them to death!! So--- call me!!!

K

Anonymous said...

First, you are a WONDERFUL mother! The fact that you're worried about this says plenty. Both my kids have stopped eating or been freakishly picky at some point, especially when teething. Even now, we're going through a mac-n-cheese thing with Alex. And veggies? They must be drowned in ranch to even look at them! Amazingly, kids seem to keep growing during these stages. She may eat you out of house and home one day! I hope NY gives you a mental break from it all. Call me sometime! jane

Kristi said...

If it weren't for fruit, I think Kylie might starve to death... That said, a friend of mine who is a nurse told me that kids her age can survive for several days off the protein from one tablespoon of peanut butter. Don't know if it's really true, but it has put my mind at ease while Kylie goes through her strange eating phase! Does Maggie like peanut butter?