Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Round 1: Parents vs. Baby

Maggie has been doing okay with the mattress on the floor. Let that be a lesson to me. Do not decorate the nursery so it looks cute. Because it's just pointless. I'm glad I got most of her stuff at the Pottery Barn Kids Outlet or on super duper sale. This morning did not start out very well as Maggie did not want David to put her shoes on her so she spit her waffle at him. SPIT her waffle at him. Y'all. Who is this child? She also got super mad at him because he wouldn't let her hold his chapstick. I think we need to take a lesson from Kristi at Fireworks and Fireflies and PICK OUR BATTLES. I think God might be laughing His head off up in heaven because I am getting paid back royally for all the crap I put my parents though. I know my mom thinks it's mighty humorous.

I am going to discuss this next part once and then it will not be discussed again but it is really, really hard to leave a place where you worked for 8 years. It is especially hard when you are leaving of your own volition and you still love the old place but people are making things difficult when it's already more difficult than they think it is. There are some barriers in my way that I think could be taken away but I think people want to make this hard and are not willing to do what could be done to remove those barriers. I was very sad today when I packed up the last bits of my classroom. My books are all unpacked and organized at the new place though.

This afternoon when I picked Maggie up at daycare, she ran right over to me smiling and yelled out, "Buh-bye!" to the class. It was so funny. We went to get coffee with Kimberly and her mom and Maggie was good and spent a long time going through my purse. We went and walked through our new house and it has a roof! Yippee!! Our yard is very small. I might be able to cut it with scissors. Our bedroom, on the other hand, is LARGE. Maybe larger than the yard. I think perhaps it is a bit overlarge but oh well. It's too late to be fooling with that. There are pictures on Flickr if you want to look because I know some people think house pictures are super boring.

And now, the Triumph of the Parents:

Behold. The sitting of the child.

The child eats!

The child even smiles! (sort of. This is her "cheese" face)


Things went swiftly downhill shortly after these pictures because she wanted to walk around while she ate grapes and I wouldn't let her. Now we have instituted a new rule. Maggie will eat NO food unless she is in the highchair. No more breakfasts on the couch, no more wandering around with a bowl of crackers. We headed upstairs so Maggie could take a bath, which she did not want to do. She wailed for a while and I sat on her mattress with her and she let me hold her and I scratched her back. I got her into the bathtub and she only fussed when I accidentally got water in her face. It is very hard to get shampoo out of her hair without completely dousing her entire head with water. Then David put her to bed and I have not seen him since so 1 of three things have occurred: 1. he is upstairs watching "Star Trek," 2. Maggie is still awake, or 3. David is asleep on the floor of her room. I'm betting it's number 3.

So, I think I'm going to have to award this win to......THE PARENTS!!!!! Yay!

Curses! Foiled again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is one of the top pleasures of being a grandparent that noone mentions because it just sounds so cruel-it's payback time! Too funny. You are doing great and have figured out the rules: choose your battles wisely and let go of the rest. Kids want limits. They pretty much beg for them. You have got it figured out. Have a great time spying!

Anonymous said...

Did I say I was laughing? Who the heck is going to clean that house?

Glad things are imporving. Gladder I could not sleep and got up to check here!

Mom

Anonymous said...

I am glad for you--yay parents!!!!


I will be wandering the streets of Manhattan in the off chance I run into you and Maggie. (Just kidding, it's too hot to be a stalker.)