Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's hard to be two

We took Maggie for her two year old checkup yesterday. I think that's the most on the ball we've been the entire time she's been home with us. She weighs 23.5 pounds up from 16 pounds last year! Wow! Almost 8 pounds! She's also 31.5 inches tall. It seems like she's been that tall for as long as we've had her but surely that can't be right. The reason her clothes are suddenly not fitting is because of her big old belly. She has no butt and short legs.

Anyway, at the doctor, I had a bunch of blood work done on Maggie as I was a slacker mom and didn't have it done when we got home from China. I asked them to test her for HIV, Hepatitis, lead and something else. They took 3 vials of blood and she was okay for that. Not loving it but mostly just crying. I told her we would go for ice cream after the doctor and she calmed down right away. Oh, and she also had an eye test for lazy eye and strabismus. I think those are the same thing. They put electrodes on her forehead, her temple and the back of her head. They put an eye patch over one eye and we watched this little video that was black and white bars going up and down, faster and faster. It made me feel sick to watch it. I SO wish we had brought the camera because Maggie's eye patch had a skull and crossbones on it. I was like, "Ahoy!" The nurse was not amused. I bet she's never heard that before. Maggie did fine during that but she did not like the eye patch.

Then it was time for the shots. She got 4, two in each leg. We laid her on her back on the table and David held her hands above her head. I held her legs down so she wouldn't kick and the nurse jabbed the needles in. OH MY GOODNESS, Maggie screamed louder than I've ever heard her scream. At one point, she was screaming and she looked up at me with her teary eyes and said, "Mama." I about died on the spot and then I started crying. After the shots were done, she would not calm down. She had screamed so hard that she started hyperventilating. The way she was breathing scared me to death and I thought, "She's having a reaction to the shots! She's going to be autistic!" Yeah, a little irrational. Finally she allowed us to dress her and we got to leave. We went over to Sonic and we all got ice cream because it had been a hard day. That made Maggie feel much better but then she noticed her band aids and got hysterical again. Man. This parenting thing is hard.

Today the daycare called and said that she had a fever of 103.5 and we needed to come pick her up. I'm sure it was a reaction to the shots and the Motrin had worn off but the daycare has a propensity for taking Maggie's temperature after she's been outside for an hour or running around madly. So of course her temperature was high.

Now for the latest in the idiocy of our new house. The builder won't do wood burning fireplaces with exterior chimneys. Why that was an option, I don't know , but that was what we paid for. According to the neighborhood covenants or something, we can't have a brick chimney and the builder doesn't do those. So now they are going to TEAR DOWN the chimney they built and covered with siding so they can build us a little fake chimney for our stupid gas logs that I didn't want in the first place. So that's going to push our closing back a week. GRRRRRRRRR. I have not really had many problems with our builder up to this point but this is REALLY pissing me off. I think we should get our money back for the fireplace that we are not going to have. I'm tired of thinking about stupid stuff that I feel like I have no control over.

Here's an oldie because I have no new pictures of Maggie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to pull in the troops or circle up with the wagons and call Renee to give them what for!q

IDIOTS
KBC

Anonymous said...

Why do they have to give so many shots at once?? Poor baby! And poor Mommy.

See you SOON!! WOO!

B.E.C.K. said...

Poor baby! My son has become very phobic about shots. Must take after me. ;^) The next time you go to the doctor, ask the nurse to give the shots in our daughter's arms and it may hurt less. (I mean, would you rather have a shot in your thigh or your arm? OMG, I'd pick arm.) It seems nurses continue to use the legs as the default long after the kid is old enough to have shots in the arm. Ouch!!