Don't really feel like blogging
so I think I'll give you some book summaries/recommendations courtesy of my students. Obviously they are not learning a lick of grammar from me. Or how to write.
First, "Code Orange," which I liked fairly well. The summary reads in part, "While away at his parent's country house Mitty finds an old medical text book containing an envelope. In side he discovers scabs from the year 1902 he handless and stiffens in the scabs, he later finds out that those scabs where smallpox scabs." Intriguing, no? I have no idea what that second run-on sentence means. This student writes, "This book will surly leave you hanging off your set." I know it surly left me hanging off of MY set.
Next, "This Place Has No Atmosphere," which I LOVED when I was a kid. The opening fragment of this summary really draws me in. "A family of four, Auora Starr and their parents." Doesn't that make you want to read this book? The family has to move to the moon but "Auora doesn't want to go, Starr trying to be as much of a goodie goodie says she's excited to get there." According to this student, "This [book] has many experiences and such that you fall completely in live with it." At one time, I was in live with this book as well and wished that I was "Auora" (or AURORA).
Now, "Maximum Ride: School's Out--Forever" which I have not read because my copy got checked out before I could even put it on my bookcase in my classroom, much less read it. I cannot find this student's summary but the recommendation is about enough for me. "I would say That anyone who likes a action packed book. That you are going to love maximum ride It is hilarious and has the best description of all the deadly battles of the flock mutants and the erasers. If you like what in telling you now than your going to love all three of them. Then you can fallow them through the craziest adventures." I think that deserves a 100, don't you?
I am not sure what the next book is as the student neglected to include the title or author on the paper. It is one of the "Among the Hidden" series which I have read. "In this world, if u are a third child, u have a pretty good chance of being found by the Population Police." I love when IM language is used in formal writing. It's so..official. I also love when book reports end like this, "Will Smits help Luke? WIll Luke die because he has Lee's identity? Or will Oscar force Smits into hiding, so Luke can live?" That makes me think DID NOT FINISH THE BOOK.
I like this summary as well. The title is included, oddly, in the summary. "This book is mainly about a kid named Mark. The name of this book is "The Transall Saga." (it's like the kid thought, oh yeah, I forgot to put the title in my book report). Mark plans to go on a hiking trip & in the middle of his trip he finds a blue light. Then he touches it & it takes him into the future. he then has to survive in the a weird place, Transall. To see how he does you'll have to read the book." Because you DIDN'T, apparently.
In the recommendation of "Things Hoped For," this student writes that, "if you liked [the book] 'Things Not Seen,' then this is defiantly the book for you." She is certain that you will love it. Defiant. even, in her assurance.
I think my favorite ending to a book report is this one though: "These are the parts that I have read of "Earthborn.'" WHY? WHY would you admit that you hadn't read the entire book to the teacher? That's along the lines of students asking if they can write a book report on a book they read in 5th grade. WTH? I always tell the kids that I will never know that they read this book in the 5th grade unless they TELL ME. Duh.
Ah, book reports. I think I'll put off grading them for a little while longer. What's that old saying?
2 Teach is
2 Touch Lives
4 Ever
Yes. That is what I'm doing. Obviously.
2 comments:
Why am I crying? Sleepy, or are these entries too funny?
MOM
"These are the parts I have read." HAHAHAHAHAHA! Why in the world would you ADMIT that?
You need to go in there and say, "You're the cream of the crop, you're the best! You shouldn't be writing things like this!"
Post a Comment