Monday, April 28, 2008

Winds of change

There aren't really any winds of change blowing around here.  I just thought that was a (not so) clever title in light of what went on around here today!  Much excitement, let me tell you.  A strong storm system blew through but it looked like mostly rain.  I fielded the usual, "Can we go outside and play in the rain?" questions and we went on with our morning.  Then when the kids were returning for "team time," the principal came on the intercom and told us we were under a tornado warning, this was not a drill and we were to head to our safe places immediately.  My kids did not make a peep and we went down the hall so we were inside the fire doors.  When I closed the fire doors, I felt like we were battening down against an alien attack or something.  My kids were mostly good although several of them thought that it was "gay" (there's that word again) that we had to do this and nothing was going to happen.  They did get to sit on the floor rather than crouching down with their butts in the air.  We were under the warning for almost an hour.  It got rather uh, pungent, in that area after a while.  The kids also asked me again if they could go outside and play in the rain and assured me that their moms would let them.  Uh, okay.  One kids wanted to go back to my room to get a piece of gum and another one wanted to get an iPod.  Middle schoolers.  Gotta love 'em.  Some causes for minor uproar:  I let 3 boys go in the girls bathroom.  The girls then said their bathroom was contaminated.  We had to eat lunch in the classroom because the schedule got all messed up.  4 kids did put apples on my desk though.  Nerds.  I think in all my years of teaching, I have never had to do a real tornado drill.  Except it wasn't a drill.  Whatever.


When I went to pick Maggie up this afternoon, I asked if they had had to go into a tornado warning.  I don't know what to call that!  It's not a drill but I don't know what it is.  Her teacher said that they had and it started about 30 minutes after their naptimes started so none of them got a good nap.  Well, except one kid, who they didn't want to wake up because he would be a supercrank so they just dragged his mat out in the hall.  I thought that was kind of funny.  Maggie fell asleep on the couch at 5:00 this afternoon.  Poor baby.  She's already in bed.

I guess that's all the news around here.  Kinda boring.

I have NO idea what is going on with my font.  Why does it keep changing size?  That is annoying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids had the tornado thing at Covenant Day, too! My MIL called (from out of staste) as she heard that Charlotte was under tornado warnings. I was like, "Ok, well it looks fine here, whatever...." Then my kids came home and all they talked about sitting in the hallway for an hour waiting for the tornado to pass. They kept telling me, "...and it wasn't a drill either. It was awesome." So there you go~ some excitement in our area today!

Pam

Jon said...

I had really thought that you were going to blog about how awesome the late 80's Scorpians hit! Oh well.