Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Under duress

I know, I'm a slack blogger.

I was informed by my email buddy, Meredith, that I needed to update my blog.  David is upstairs giving Maggie a bath, although there is quite a lot of pounding coming from up there so I'm not sure what they're doing.  I don't even know where to start.  Not that much is going on.  The last days of school are dragging out and lasting forEVER.

I asked Maggie's teachers at daycare about her being sent to time out and they told me that no, she hadn't been sent to time out and she's one of the only kids who never gets sent to time out and she is so sweet blah blah.  So, apparently my so sweet kid is lying to us about going to time out which is extremely weird to me.  Why would she lie about that?  And how in the world do you teach a 2 year old that you don't lie?  Also, the kid that she said hit her and she hit in return isn't even in her class anymore.  Odd.

We are going to New York in a couple of weeks.  David is taking the NAHS and Maggie and I are going to hang out with Meredith because David's tours of NYC are a bit too fast paced for me.  Plus I've already been on them and once was enough, trust me.  Last night David had a meeting with all the kids who are going and showed them his perfectly packed suitcase so he can go carry on only.  He also told them not to wear their Rainbows, which haha.  That's never going to happen.  Maggie and I are flying up later on the day that they leave because 1. we are not going carry on only and 2. I am not getting to the airport at 5 o'clock in the morning.  I only do that on the days that I fly to China to adopt my daughter.  We are also staying an extra day so we can visit longer with Meredith (and her husband, too, of course).

We went to Walmart this weekend to do the usual grocery shopping and we went over to the toy section to look for a couple of things to amuse Maggie on the flight.  She selected the Polly Pocket Totally Trendy Pets Jungle Tails Playset which is way tacky.  I suspect she picked it because it came in a pink leopard print carrying case.  I wonder if she's too young for it.  It says 4-7 on the website.  Oh well.  She doesn't eat toys anymore.  I think it will be fine.  I hope she drops lots of miniscule pairs of shoes while we are on the plane.  Then she also picked this Cinderella set which is also sort of tacky.  I wanted her to get the Belle set, mainly because I like "Beauty and the Beast," but no.  "Rella" it was.  Then, because we no longer feed our child healthy food, she got to pick the flavor of Pop Tarts that we bought.  David and I wanted the Indiana Jones brown sugar and cinnamon ones but Maggie said, "No.  I want pink."  The Barbie Pop Tarts.  That's what we bought.  Maggie is hilariously girly.  I admit, I secretly like it a little bit.  It's kind of fun to play with all these girly toys that I didn't have when I was a kid.  And NO, MOM, it's not because I was deprived.  I know, I didn't like them.  Well, I did but I wanted books more.

I posted on Rumor Queen kind of recently asking for recommendations of swingsets.  Everyone said to buy a Rainbow playset because even though they are expensive, they are worth it.  So I went to the website and there were no prices but I requested a catalog anyway.  It came in the mail this weekend and I opened it eagerly so I could decide on which playset to buy for Maggie.  Uh, NO.  The cheapest one is $1700.  SEVENTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS for a swingset.  The higher end ones are around oh, thirty grand.  In addition to taking out a loan, we would have to bulldoze down our house in order for it to fit in our yard.

Maggie waters her slide in the hopes that it will grow into a Rainbow playset.

Not happening.



My mom bought her some Hello Kitty gardening gloves.


Grandma and Maggie had some big fun last weekend.
So, that's what's been going on with us.  I have about a zillion more pictures to add so check back.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love new posts!! Plus I am procrastinating finishing some homework (big surprise there). Maggie watering her garage sale "sa-lide" in hopes that it will grow into a $1300 Rainbow playset is PRICELESS. Bwahahahaha.

Thanks for the break! :-)

Kristi said...

We keep waiting for a Rainbow playset to fall out of the sky...
Love Maggie trying to grow one, but I love the pouty face even more!
Happy end of school!

Anonymous said...

They're still pretty expensive, but Costco has "non-branded" swingsets that are actually Rainbow swingsets. You need to put them together and that sucks, but they are pretty super fantastic. And they are very well built. We considered a wood one from Toys r Us, but after looking at the 1 year old one our neighbors have, it's already wobbly and falling apart. We bought ours when our daughter was 1--and I recall playing on mine until I was well into high school (gossiping about boys and whatnot..). I don't know that any other toy will still be in rotation in 16 years.

Danielle in CO

Jon said...

You need not that crap, half the fun of a playset is when you get older you try to swing so high the set comes out of the ground. She will be more enamored with the box than with the set for now anyway.

Marissa said...

sweet mother woman, it IS about time you updated this thing! ;)

maggie watering her slide in hopes that it would become a rainbow playset actually made me snort.

we, too, looked into rainbow playsets and while they may be worth it to some people, i'd rather have a new car than a $30K playscape. We settled on an amish built one and still spent far too much but come on now, its amish. LOL (love me some amish).

ADORABLE pic of Maggie & Grandma!!

Anonymous said...

so, where are the rest of the pix?

MOM