Thursday, August 28, 2008

General junk-ola

First of all, I am sorry to say that I have no new pictures because David has taken the awesome camera that he is using to teach photography class back to school.  ::sobs::  I even had some pictures on there but I guess they are long gone by now.  I don't really have any news but I know it's been a while so while I sit here and don't pay attention to "Big Brother," I thought I would write a little.


School has been extremely smooth thus far this year.  Scarily smooth.  I may even jump to conclusions and say that I like my students this year!  I failed miserably at being the mean teacher when my first block came back to homeroom at lunchtime on the second day and told me that they had taken a poll and decided I was the nicest teacher.  SIGH.  I mean, the kids are doing what I'm asking them to do and everything has gone well but it's just so boring being mean and crabby and dare I say it, bitchy, all the time.  The teacher that I'm teaching next to this year is EXTREMELY, uh, anal, let's say, and I think it's rubbing off on me.  I tend to be more of a lackadaisical teacher in the cleanliness of my classroom (remember, I clean on an as needed basis and speaking of that, our house is in DESPERATE need of cleaning) but this year, I'm like, "Um, see that little piece of paper there?  Would you pick that up?  Will you get that pencil off the floor, please?  Let's straighten our desks up, shall we?" etc.  I'm kind of enjoying that part of my year so far.  I had a fabulous department meeting with the other language arts teachers yesterday and we are planned through September.  I also have a tendency to be rather reluctant to plan ahead.  I don't know why I don't like to do it because I feel MUCH calmer when I am well-planned.  

Things that I DO NOT like:   1. Being rushed
   2.  Feeling stressed out
   3.  People bothering me about dumb things
   4.  Worrying
Therefore, I try to avoid all of those as much as humanly possible.  All that is to say that I am avoiding a lot of unnecessary stress by planning ahead.  I like to be as relaxed as possible and as much as possible.

A great tragedy occurred the other day when David informed me that I should not be wearing my favorite gray pants from NY and Co. any longer.  Yeah, I kind of knew that but I was in denial.  They were horrifically pilled and looked like I had quite possibly been sleeping in them for an extended period of time.  But they were soooo comfortable!  They felt like pajamas but they were work clothes!  I threw them out and I'm going shopping for a new pair of work/pajama pants this weekend.  I checked the website and they are on sale, even.  YESSSSS.

Earlier this summer, I attended a class, I guess, on how to be a Coupon Diva.  I can't remember if I've blogged about this or not.  Anyway, the 3 women who led it taught us how to clip and use coupons and organize them in a binder and save big bucks.  I love a good deal so I was completely on board.  It is addicting, I tell you!  I went to Target today and I was so sorry I didn't have my binder because there were deals to be had.  On the weekend of triple coupons at Harris Teeter, I saved 85 bucks.  For a veteran coupon diva, that's not that great but I thought I did pretty well.  If I were a real coupon diva, I would have saved $125 on $300 worth of groceries and paid $1.85 out of pocket.  I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I am thinking way ahead, but I can't decide what Maggie should be for Halloween.  David is still stuck on her being a stupid vampire and while I am secretly in love with Edward Cullen, she is NOT being a blood sucker for Halloween.  She has been a ladybug and a UNC cheerleader so far.  Neither of those are creative.  I need ideas.  

Also, Maggie's birthday is in less than a month!  She will be 3!  THREE!  Anyway, her friend Emma will be three 4 days before her so while we were at Target tonight, we looked at some possible presents for her. (prepare yourself for girly and glitter, Brooke)  I showed Maggie a couple of things and I made sure to tell her that they were not for her and they were a present for Emma.  WHEW.  She did not like that idea.  "But why???  I want a present!  I want my birfday!"  She finally (grudgingly) selected something but I am picking out the rest of the present.  I'm not sure Maggie is ready for the gift picking out yet.

I got my new cell phone last week.  I love it.  I think I might marry it.  Texting is so quick and delightful with the miniature keyboard!  My ringtone is so pleasing to the ears that sometimes I just let my phone ring so I can listen to it.  It's maroon!  The Razr is going to the trash heap under my rear tire this weekend.



Finally, my heart was utterly broken for Meredith and her husband late last week when they learned some horrific news about their sweet baby girl in Vietnam.  Meredith is my oldest (28 years!) and dearest friend and to have this happen was like losing a family member.  I can't write about this nearly as eloquently as she did so I encourage you to visit her blog.

On that note, I guess I am done for now.  I am so glad we have a 3 day weekend coming up.  Only 5 days into the school year and I think it's time for a break.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about a really, cute, classic clown costume. I saw it once on a really cute curly headed redhead!

Guess who?

Marissa said...

oh so much to say.

1) YAY on school running smoothly so far. You know you shouldn't have said that outloud, right?

2) COUPONS!! I love me some coupons. I love me some sales. I love me some savings. bargain, bargain, bargain, oh i love a bargain. LOL

3) phone. girl. guess what i got last week? same phone. in maroon. my Razr, that peice of shit? i want to toss it in the river. isn't texting so much fun now?!

4) i've been thinking about meredith and my heart just breaks. i'm going over to her blog to see what is the latest.

5) i've been following along on ACs sisters blog, waiting for her newest sisters arrival. its been switched to invite only now - get me an invite, pretty please or at least keep me posted when she comes to her forever family.

Marissa said...

i spelled piece wrong. i hate being a perfectionist.

so correction: that (pink) razr phone i've had was a PIECE of shit.

and i'm still going to throw it in the river. :)

Jon said...

Amanda's razr was junk! SO OMG! I LUV UR NEW LG, TXT IS NBD. K TTYL