Thursday, April 16, 2009

A "guest" post


Yes - David is attempting a post! Allison is exhausted and I am filling in
tonight. We have one more day of "Disney Fun" to go but here are some
"highlights" of the last two days...

First up on Wednesday was Animal Kingdom. Maggie was in a good mood for the first
part of the day. She felt a little warm - a fever? - but not too bad.
A little sniff-ly and cough-ly but no big deal, right? Right........
Happy after seeing the live Simba/Lion King show - very exciting (and loud) !

After the early morning show, Allison and Joe rode some crazy roller-coaster.
I did not join them. I am not crazy.

The climb up Everest...so high the sun masks the top of the mountain!

A happy family moment in the wilds of the Animal Kingdom.

Overall, the AK was OK - not great. VERY crowded. Lots of people everywhere.
We saw a crazy 3D bug movie which scared the holy-be-geez-us out of Maggie. The 3D effects were cool - the environmental effects were better. Mists, lighting, suspended animitronic spiders, weird ripplies and bumpies in the seatbacks - yikes!
Because Maggie had been so "brave" she got a reward: a stuffed lion - Simba to be exact.
We then waited in a never-ending line that M. C. Escher could have designed. It was for a "safari" into the wilds. Kind of fun but not many exotic animals. I think we saw more exotic, wild, African animals at that farm we went to last year.  

Maggie went downhill after that - sleepy, cranky, not a happy camper.
We travelled by bus to Hollywood Studios for an early afternoon dinner.

Side commentary:
If you are planning to go to The Assorted Wonderful Worlds of Disney in the near future: PLAN. Plan, and plan right now. Stay at a resort, ride the bus, get a multi-day pass, and if you do none of these things: GET A MEAL PLAN. Best deal ever. Allison and her mom really planned out where we were going to stay, what we should go see, and especially what we were going to eat. I had little to no expectations for the trip (seeing as I did not want to go) but the trip has gone so well I must say that I am shocked and awed by my wife
and mother-in-law. It feels a little cold in hell. brrrrrr-rrrrr

Back to the recap:
Dinner was fine but Maggie was not. We did a few things at Hollywood Studios but our
focus was on the light/fireworks/drama show at dusk. "Fantasmic!" was something else.
A huge rocky stage, lots of water, light displays, smoky mists, fireworks, well-known characters, lots of scariness, and a happy ending. Allison's tour book said the show was
'worth the park's ticket price. I would say that I agree! Maggie was wiped out.
We gave her some medicine and sent her straight to bed.

The end of a very long day.

Thursday we went back to Epcot. We got there about lunchtime and ate at Le Cellier in Canada. It was very good - and very dark. Maggie ate pretty well and I promised her a prize. The 360 degree Canada movie was next and was good. We continued our trek through the world showcase in France with the "Impressions" movie. Some of Epcot's finest senior citizen
guests provided unwanted commentary during this flick. Examples of their annoying insights: "A wedding!" "A train!" "Look out!" "There's a person up there!" "How nice!"
(Please be quiet...I'm trying to enjoy the loverly French countryside. Geez.)

Maggie slept through the French movie and did not like being awakened by drums in Japan. She also did not want to see Alladin's Genie. "I don't like him," she said. "He's blue." Ok.

Awake and semi-happy in the American Showcase.

The crankiness switched back on very quickly.
Even the charms of Mulan could not break Mags out
of her shell. Mulan was very sweet with her. Oh well! At least we have
photographic evidence that she met her!

Friday we are going back to the Magic Kingdom for a while and  then heading down the road. We'll drive for a few hours and stay overnight in GA somewhere. We will be back home on Saturday. It's been fun and we still have a little more fun to go!

5 comments:

Jon said...

Great job David... makes me want to take down my blog and take writing lessons.

Terriwc said...

Thank you, David! What a great trip you are having.

Anonymous said...

thanks David! ~~and a good time was had by ALL :)...Re

glenna said...

thanks for the recap David. You're totally scaring me about planning though. Disney seems overwhelming. I love the pic of the 3 of you together :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys!!

I'm glad you have a great back up for the blog.
You've made the OLD FOLKS at home feel as
though we went along with you to The Kingdom....

Rede & Barb