Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Catching up, part 3

Oh, y'all, did we ever have an episode yesterday! Maggie wanted to play with her My Little Ponies so we dragged them all out and made a giant mess with them. When we were at Disney this spring, we went over to Downtown Disney where you can fill a box with as much My Little Pony stuff as you can cram into it. So, cram we did. Needless to say, we have a lot of skirts and shoes and crowns and junk for the ponies. After a while, Maggie got bored and she did NOT want to keep watching "Little Miss Perfect," which is a show about child pageants (I KNOW. Why wouldn't she want to watch that? I had only been watching it for 3 hours). I told her we needed to clean up the mess so she started putting each piece in the bin in slow motion. I told her to hurry up a little bit as I helped her gather up more stuff. She looked daggers at me and started throwing ponies in the bin as hard as she could. I told her to put them up right or they were going in the trash. She hurled 2 more pieces of pony paraphernalia in there and that was IT for me! I shoved all that junk in the bin and she started wailing. I told her to say goodbye to the ponies and I stormed out to the garage. Maggie really started crying and screamed, "My horsies! My HORSIES!"


I will fully admit that I wasn't about to throw out all that stuff. MY money bought all those ponies. Instead, I very dramatically slammed the bin down onto the garage floor behind the trash can where she couldn't see it. She still doesn't know that they're not really in the trash but they are going into hiding for a good long while. Then we came back inside and I washed Maggie's face and asked her if she knew why her ponies got thrown out. She said, "NO." Oh my goodness. Some days, parenting is super fun.

We pulled Maggie out of daycare this summer to save some money and also because we were gone for about a hundred weeks in a row and we would have paid for daycare whether or not she was there. BEFORE the summer started, I had all these grand plans for Maggie and me. We would follow a schedule and learn things and have arts and crafts time! Yeah, right. That didn't happen when reality actually set in. Back at the beginning, I bought Maggie all these pom poms and some glue and I thought we could make some pretty pictures with them.

The main problem with all my plans is that I thought they would take hours (and be fun) and in reality, they took about 3 minutes and then I wanted to kill myself. Maggie did enjoy squirting glue all over the paper and she also liked sorting the pom poms into different colors. Then she talked about how much she missed her friends and teachers at school. HEE.

So, Allison as a stay at home mom: FAIL. Oh yeah, and Maggie knocked her glass of milk over on her grand art and it had to go in the trash.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll pull out the alphabet flash cards! That ought to be super fun for both of us!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Feeling your pain on the art projects that only take a few minutes ~ times TWO!
Don't be too hard on yourself though, she won't remember thinking that Mommy should have done grand art projects or practiced letters, she'll remember time spent with you!

Lawyerish said...

"The main problem with all my plans is that I thought they would take hours (and be fun) and in reality, they took about 3 minutes and then I wanted to kill myself."

HILARIOUS. Well, you tried.

Stacey said...

Welcome to craft time with young children. LOL!!

I homeschool my 2 older kids, (9 and 5) and involve the 3 year old as much as he wants. I'd rather do a lesson than craft time any day, lol!