Thursday, December 03, 2009

Staying warm

I am so thankful for our soft beds, squishy pillows and warm blankets, especially at this time of year. I am cold-natured and usually sit under a blanket even when the fire is burning. Tonight, we counted all of our blankets and put a penny in our box for each one. We had 18, counting bedspreads and comforters. Wow!


You know what the students of today should be thankful for? Easybib.com. OMG. That site does your entire works cited page for you. I taught (well, attempted to teach, as many of my students looked as if I were asking them to perform surgery) my students how to use it today and I could not BELIEVE how easy it was. Instead of flipping through a million pages and writing down dates and publishers and cities, you just copy and paste the website name into the site and it does the entire thing for you. Of course, I went to a college with an actual card catalog so what do I know about this newfangled technology?

We are reading "A Christmas Carol" this month and the students have to create a character who would have lived during Scrooge's time and write a character sketch about said person. Today, I had to tell one boy that he could not have multiple wives, another boy that he could not be gay (punishable by death! Plus, I'm not going there with that RIDICULOUSNESS) and another boy that his Victorian name could not be Dr. Evil. I also discouraged another boy from choosing a girl for his character. You see, the kids also have to dress as their character and present to the class. And lest you think I'm being closed-minded and not allowing my cross dressing and homosexual students to express their freedoms, I am NOT. These were just dumb boys being dumb. My patience is rather thin at this point in the year.

I think I'd better do another list of 5 things I'm thankful for, huh?
  • The pouring down rain we had all day yesterday.
  • A surprise dinner visit from Kimberly, Mark and AK last night
  • Looking for Christmas lights on the way home from school with Maggie
  • My mantel decorations that look just the way I wanted them to
  • Christmas tree scented candles

1 comment:

Terriwc said...

Needing pictures of said perfect mantel. I love this exercise that you are doing everyday and Maggie is the perfect age to start it. I can just see her darting around the house counting everything.