Ahh, sweet freedom!
Today was the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!!! My school year, overall, has been extremely good. Even though I thought I'd be taking maternity leave somewhere in the midst of it. But, whatever. I remember thinking back at the beginning of the year, "I really like these kids. I want to teach them the entire year. I don't want to miss any school because I like them so much." Guess somebody heard those thoughts, huh? I don't know if that means I'm going to have a load of buttholes next year or what. It does look like I might get to miss the beginning of next school year. Not ideal, but I'll take it. This afternoon, when dismissal started, all these kids were BAWLING. I cannot remember crying one single time on the last day of school. I was not ever sad that school was over. Plus, I always knew I was going to see Meredith a hundred times over the summer, and really, I didn't care much about anybody else at school. One of my favorite things about my school is that we all go out to the bus lot and wave all the buses off when they leave for the last time. It's so cool. This is going to be cheesy but it makes me think, "I teach at a really special place." The teachers really do care about the kids. But then the parents get all mad when their kids go to high school because the teachers are too nurturing at my school. WHATEVER. You can't please everyone.
I went to a bar with a bunch of people after school and saw one of the 7th graders with her parents immediately upon walking in. Nice. I had an appletini, came home and had half a beer with David and fell asleep on the guest room bed for 2 hours. Lightweight.
Last night Krystil made me go to this party with her that 2 of her students were hosting. (lest you think I am a complete loser, we were chaperones). It was a pool party and I must say that while I would not put on a bathing suit in front of a bunch of 7th graders for a million bucks, it was still kind of fun. When I got there, one of my students came up and hugged me and got me all wet. Blech. I was kind of envious of all the girls in their bikinis with their hip bones jutting out and their flat stomachs. I thought back to my "two-piece" that I had in 7th grade. I hated that thing. I felt like I was wearing underwear out in public. I don't even know why I got one. It was a super cool geometric print though--EW.
We got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and it is the coolest. It's a MacBook and it only weighs 5 pounds! It has this program on it called PhotoBooth where you can distort all your pictures like a funhouse or something. David and I have had some fun playing with that. Louie is not fond of us trying to get him to get his picture made. It's also fun to watch DVD's on it while lying on the couch in the den when someone else is watching "Star Trek" DVD's on the big TV. We might need to take a selection of "Friends" DVD's to watch on the plane while going to China.
I suppose that's all the gossip in my life right now. Not very interesting but I got a tip from SOMEONE who recently got engaged that I need to be updating my blog more often. Here ya go, J!
1 comment:
That was a great and positive blog yo! I don't know if you realize it, but you are one of the cool teachers. If kids are missing you that much and want you to chaperone the party, you are cool to them (insert comments about the status of taste in middle school kids). I never cried about school either, nor did I see anyone upset. The only exceptions were the kids who say a "D" in a class they were sure to fail and the girl who just got dumped by her boyfriend who was going to the beach to pray new girls. She will be consoled by his best friend in a matter of hours. Happy Last Day of School to you and David!!!
Post a Comment