Okay, okay
I think a lot about posting but I would rather read other blogs than write on my own. Mostly I'm posting to update my 5 readers with some pictures of Maggie. I don't have anything of great interest to write about.
Ohhhh, cupcakes. All for me!
Ohhh, icing. I love thee.
Mommy, these are good. And I have weird hair.
Delish.
Well, this past weekend, we headed over to David's dad's house to start digging out the junk that was in David's old bedroom from the LAST time he lived there. That room is going to be Maggie's this time around. Anyway, as we were piling stacks and stacks of magazines to recycle, we also found some treasures in David's old closet. For example, an entire box of action figures, some unopened. The opened ones were in separate baggies with an index card for easy identification. David grudgingly agreed to eBay those. Then, we found a lot of art history notes. Neatly catalogued with tabs and such. Ugh. Those escaped the inferno of 2000 when David burned his master's thesis. THEN. THEN. We found the best thing of all: the blueprints to the Starship Enterprise. Because you might want to build a fictional spaceship at any time. I DIED laughing. Someone was a little huffy and defensive. Oh yeah, and Barb also found an old comic strip that David had drawn with sketches of a bunch of superheroes, including The Green "Latrine." (that's the Green Lantern for those of you not in the know). Admittedly, this was drawn when he was probably in elementary school but still. That's pretty hilarious. David also found his high school letter jacket and tried it on. We couldn't get in the trunk that contained his saxophone. DANG IT. After all that fun, we didn't really feel like doing much of anything else so we left a colossal mess in there and ate pizza with Rege and Barb and came home.
I've been reading on several blogs about people recognizing their daughter's birth mothers on Mother's Day. I'm not so sure how I feel about that. David and I had an interesting conversation about it tonight. I'm always eager to get David's perspective about this kind of thing as he is adopted as well. David thinks it would be confusing for Maggie and we need to make sure that she knows that we are the parents. I tend to agree. And honestly, she's not going to know what's going on this year anyway. It would be more for me than anyone and I don't really want to recognize my daughter's birth mother on Mother's Day. There, I said it. Flame away, haters. It is Mother's Day and I'M the MOTHER. I'm all for talking about her adoption with her anytime she wants to but I don't really get making it a part of every single little piece of our lives. That's the way our family was created. The end. David said that the subject of his adoption was always dealt with very openly and his parents shared what little information they had. I'm just trying to figure out if all this stuff that people do in the name of it being for their adopted children isn't really for the children. It makes the PARENTS feel better. And maybe kind of cool. Like, "look at what I'm doing! I'm honoring my daughter's birth mother! She made the ultimate sacrifice! And I will recognize that!" I don't know if this is making any sense but it made sense when David and I were talking about it tonight. I'm just a grouch, I think. I don't like to think about all this deep stuff.
I decided to raise my blood pressure again tonight and try to take some pictures of Maggie. GRRRRR. It's a good thing I'm not a children's photographer because I would probably have had a stroke by now.
Here is my belly. Now, let's see yours, Mommy!
I bring you this colander of treasures.
What was that? Were you calling my name?
I hereby decree that there shall be no more pictures taken of the baby.
I think I'll just squat here and take a sip of my milk.
Beam me up, Scotty.
7 comments:
Thank you! Whew, it's been a long time and I was having Maggie withdrawal!
Totally love the squat picture. Kylie still spends about half of her time in that position. Sounds like you had fun digging through old stuff ~ Ian's mom brought boxes that we haven't opened yet of his old stuff when she moved out of her house. We'll save it for a rainy day...
This is your family and you have every right to deal with Maggie's adoption and her birth mom the way you and David see fit. You're obviously not keeping anything hidden from her.
Anyway: It's your first Mother's Day as a Mommy! YAY!! :)
Maybe David will get you the blueprints to Beverly Hills High school in case you want to build it and reenact 90210.
If you re-enact life at Beverly Hills high School, I get to be Brenda. Meredith, you need to come down and visit again and we will have a 90210 film festival.
90210 4-eva!!!!
Kimberly
Thank you! Maggie has grown so much...it is amazing to watch how much she Maliah, and Libby have blossomed since they came home.
Happy First Mother's Day!
this timely posting was one of the best mother's day suprises I have ever happened upon; thanks for the "wonderful trip" and for "adopting Maggie"! We are FAMILY!!!! hey! hey!~~~~ Happy Mother's Day Allison....
I cannot begin to describe the nerd that David was. The blueprints are not suprising to me at all. He also used to have this kick ass Lego pirate ship, that was cool. Do you notice any parallels drawn with you ebaying his action figures and a certain movie with Steve Carell?
You are Maggie's mother.... there, I said it. You you you you you.
If you do the 90210 thing mentioned above, I am so Steve Sanders! Black vette here I come!
Post a Comment