Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Sick Bay 2007

Yes, that's right. The daycare germ warfare has started early this year. They have begun by lobbing some croup at us along with an upper respiratory infection. We have triumphed yet again with the special combination of a steamy bathroom, 2 days at home, some Cheetos and a trip to the doctor. What's next, daycare?

The latest illness came upon Maggie rather suddenly on Sunday. We spent forever at the new house and by the time we got home, Maggie was burning up. But not the usual sweaty, in the car burning up. I took her temperature (ugh) and it was almost 103. I stayed home with her yesterday and she seemed to be fine as she leaped around the den and we took turns throwing blocks at each other. They were stuffed blocks, people. I wasn't throwing the Brio at my child's head. We went on a long walk and I about died because it has been in the 90's here in October. Where is the chilly? I'm sick of my summer clothes. And more importantly, I'm sick of Maggie's summer clothes. On a completely unrelated note, I hate Blogger. It is not letting me download pictures. After we returned from the walk, Maggie played with her shoes and a coupon book for a long time. WHY, WHY do we buy her toys? It is completely pointless. Then she put her socks on her hands and it was time for lunch. She took a long, phlegm-y nap while I watched "Zodiac" which is a child-appropriate movie. When she woke up, she was having a really hard time breathing and she sounded horrible and I got scared and called the doctor. I first consulted with Dr. Google who told me that she might have croup so we sat in the steamy bathroom until I couldn't stand it any more. My in laws must have their hot water heater set on 200 degrees because good LORD, it got hot in there in a hurry. I felt like I was in Guangzhou again. So, if you want to see what it will feel like in GZ in the summer time, come over to my in laws' house and check out the upstairs bathroom.

We headed out to the doctor and I made an interesting observation. For some reason, there is always at least one herd of unsupervised children running around her doctor's waiting room and wreaking havoc on the toys and terrorizing everyone else. There was also a little girl who was quite taken with Maggie and kept looming over her and breathing on her and I was like, "Go AWAY! Take your germy self away from my child!" This little girl was probably about 10, so not that little and definitely old enough to know better than to be breathing on people. Her mom kept smiling bemusedly at us which annoyed me. Maggie screamed when she saw the nurse who was the same one that gave her all the shots. The doctor said she probably had an upper respiratory infection but it might be croup due to her cough. Also, the doctor looked in Maggie's ears and used this little scoop to clean them out. I debated stealing one of those scoops for later because I was quite intrigued with it. I think I might be gross. I'm definitely getting my ears cleaned the next time we go to China. If they offer, of course.

Maggie stayed home with David today. She really stayed home with PapPap because David had to go to the walk through for our new house. Closing is set for next Monday, October 15. I don't believe that yet. David and our realtor and our independent building inspector laid it down for the builder. I'm glad after all that rigamarole with the fireplace which is indeed gas. I got home and Maggie seemed fine to me. I think she will go back to the trenches of daycare tomorrow.

The other night we were all laying around and suddenly Maggie licked her finger and very industriously tried to wipe a mole off my face. BAHAHA. It was so funny. Then tonight she did a somersault on our bed and whacked her head on the wall. She sat up and said, "No, NO!" to the wall with a furious look on her face while shaking her finger. Awesome. She has become obsessed with "pop its" lately and always wants one in her hair which is good since I had to cancel her haircut appointment that was yesterday. Tonight she went to bed with pigtails and a popit in her hair. That ought to make for some pretty hair tomorrow morning.

Finally, tonight she took all of her clothes off (with my help) and her diaper and said "Potty, potty" about a hundred times. So I put her on the potty and she sat there (and did nothing) and said, "Sssssss." HEE. Then she got off and looked in the toilet like something was going to be in there. Silly girl. Pictures on Flickr.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid that I taught her the sound effects when she had the lengthy potty sit in LaGrange! Sigh. I know that she will conquer it quickly when she decides this is what to do....like right in the middle of you unpacking a thousand boxes next week. Here's to moving into your own home! Congrats. Hope Maggie is doing much better.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say, it's totally my mom's fault that she was doing the "Sssss" thing - hahaha!

I love the "No, NO!" at the wall.

Moving next week -- woo!!

Jon said...

I am so psyched to be heading home. I cannot wait to spend time with Maggie, oh yeah, and get married. Love & Miss you guys.