Thursday, November 22, 2007

Gobble, gobble

Well, our turkey day was chaotic and loud and filled with yummy food so it was all good, I would say. Shall we go through the day? I think that would be a yes.
This morning we ate monkey bread for breakfast (the frozen kind, not the homemade kind with canned biscuits) and I went over my limit of sweet things. I thought I was going to puke. Then, because we are dumb, David and Maggie had to go to Walmart and the Teeter because we ran out of Cool Whip and I could not find any of my birthday wrapping paper and I KNOW I brought that stuff here.

Yo, what up? Happy Turkey Day, peeps!

When they got back, the turkey emerged from its brine bath and I had to rinse it off. That sucker was HEAVY. It was also sort of gross to be handling it and checking all of its leg crevices for stray peppercorns. It jumped in the oven and started cooking. I made mashed potatoes with a new secret ingredient, soy milk, because we ran out of regular milk. Which elicited ANOTHER trip to the grocery store.
(I look weird in this picture). I feel sorry for the people who have to work on Thanksgiving but I am kind of glad they are there for those of us who do not plan ahead. Maggie took a nap and David and I continued to cook. I would say we did about equal amounts of cooking this year. I think it's because my mom wasn't here because when she's here, guess how much cooking I want to do? That's right, ZERO! Well, I usually want to do zero cooking anyway.
Sauerkraut is stinky! After we finished eating, I realized that there were large portions of dinner that I did not even eat. I cannot seem to figure out how much food we need to have for large groups of people. For example, we have no turkey left. NONE. A carcass is all that remains. However, we have enough stuffing for about 3 more turkeys. Maybe more. Also, we had way too much dessert. Oh, but the peanut butter pie. THE PEANUT BUTTER PIE.

{angels singing}
Oh, the deliciousness of peanut butter, cream cheese and Cool Whip topped with a JAR of hot fudge sauce and then a layer of Cool Whip. There were supposed to be artsy criss crosses of PB and fudge on top but my baggie with the corner cut out was not cooperating. So, thank you, Andy, for suggesting the swirlies. That might be even more artsy! David's grandma asked if it was a family recipe. NOPE! It was from the Sunday coupon section.

So, we ate a whole lot and there was some crying during the birthday song because as my friend Kimberly says, "It's not a birthday party until somebody cries." We watched presents being opened and Maggie, Nicklaus and Elizabeth ran about like a bunch of crazies hopped up on sugar. Also, they had a parade complete with instruments through the kitchen while we were carving the turkey. Thanks, Linda.

I guess I could get cheesy here and say what all I'm thankful for but I have come to the realization that I am not a very cheesy person. Well, that was not really a realization. I have come to ACCEPT that I am not very cheesy. I am thankful for my family. All of them. There. And tomorrow, I am picking Kimberly and her sister up at 5:45 so we can be at Walmart at 6. Then we are going to Kohl's a.k.a. Hell on Earth after that. Then Target. We will all be unwashed and beautiful. I am super excited. I love the day after Thanksgiving insanity.

Oh yeah, my massage yesterday was wonderful even though I spilled almost an entire bottle of water on my shirt while I was sitting in the "relaxation room" and I failed to shave my legs so I bet my masseuse really enjoyed that. Also, there was a very distracting song playing at one point that was mostly bagpipes and THAT, my friends, is not relaxing in the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very good reason for us not to be there...your cooking. No Nazi who came barging in to tell how Thanksgiving is supposed to be! Good night. MOM

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day! Maggie's brined turkey was VERY tasty; so was the beautiful birthday cake. Thanks to you all for a wonderful day.