Happy New Year and all that jazz
New Year's is one of those holidays that I'm really not crazy about. You feel like you're SUPPOSED to do something because it's a holiday but it's kind of a dumb holiday and you don't really want to do anything. I kind of feel that way about July 4th too. We started having fondue with Mark and Kimberly about 5 years ago so that's our New Year's tradition. I like it. Predictable, fun, good food. Can't go wrong with any of those. I think the fondue was particularly good this year. Our new Frank Lloyd Wright table runner got a little stained during a boiling chocolate fondue incident but other than that, all was well. David's mom and grandma came out for the first 2 courses but left before the most important one--dessert!
We always have bread and Granny Smith apples with the cheese fondue but this year I decided to add dates to the mix. YUM. Maggie especially liked them. Dates are kind of gross looking. They remind me of roaches. I like the little ones chopped up in cereal better.
Maggie went to bed around 9-ish and didn't make too much, well, any, fuss. We did not wake her up a hundred times this year like we did last year. Last year she rang in the new year with us because everytime Kimberly or I laughed, Maggie would wake up. That was before we figured out the secret of always having a fan on in Maggie's room. Now you can practically stand outside her room and scream and she won't wake up. Nice. Then all of us watched some episodes of "Lost" season 3 and barely paused to say "Happy New Year" when the clock hit midnight. My kind of celebration. We did not even watch Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest. Sad.
Today was kind of a lazy day but work was hanging over it all day long. Blah. I do not want to go back to work tomorrow. I did get some new Privo shoes for Christmas so I will be wearing those, definitely. Maggie sometimes has a rough transition back to daycare after we've been off for a while so I have reminded her that we all have school tomorrow a lot. She seems okay with it. David went running this morning so Maggie and I hung out at home. I received season 3 of "90210" from David so we watched a couple of episodes of that. Then I had to "use the facilities" and I am not one to shut the door in Maggie's face as some people do. I made her sit on her little stool and we had a lot of conversations involving me saying, "Sit down. Back up. Don't touch me." Maggie did applaud for me when I was finished and said, "You did it!" HAHA. I did totally invade her privacy and took a picture of her "making laws."
We both ate some M&M's afterwards because we had used the potty successfully. Maggie is about to move up to the next classroom at daycare which is the potty training room! WOO HOO. I am ready. I think she is ready too. She has been very successful with the potty fairly consistently throughout the past month or so.
We tried to take a nap together this afternoon but less than 45 minutes after Maggie went to sleep, I heard, "Hi, Daddy. Hi, Daddy. Daddydaddydaddy." Rrrrrr. I let David sleep and we went downstairs because yesterday, Maggie got up at 5:30 throwing up and David got up with her and I slept until 8:30. I did not hear anything. When the supersonic mommy hearing got passed around, I think I got skipped.
We took Maggie for a walk with her new bike this afternoon. Her legs have got to grow! They are so short! We had to push her the whole time, which was fine but she likes to randomly turn the handlebars hard to the right or left and we end up going around in a circle. Also, it was very cold. My ears were about to break off when we got home. Then I made dinner. Shocking, I know. We had Rachael Ray Quick Cassoulet on French bread or something like that. I am not one of those people who thinks that a recipe is merely a suggestion. I follow as if it were gospel. However, I thought a baguette looked too small so I got Italian bread instead. Then I couldn't find cannellini beans so I got Great Northern beans. Then I was supposed to add either white wine or chicken broth but Kimberly and I conveniently drank all the white wine last night and we had about 10 cans of beef broth but no chicken. So I poured out the broth from chicken noodle soup and used that. And it was YUMMY. (or yummo, if you must. Gag).
I have decided that I am not making any New Year's resolutions because, well, I don't want to. I may make a secret one relating to this blog but I'm not telling anyone what it is in case I don't follow through with it. I think I am going to go make some White Mocha hot chocolate and watch some "Lost." Later!
4 comments:
Happy New Year Allison. Good Luck returning to work tomorrow, I will be going back too. Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you. Give Maggie a big hug and kiss from us.
Brooke
I like the "making laws" picture... it sucks for Maggie that it will be in the back of her Senior Year Book.
I relate with your New Year's Eve sentiments! We usually go to a party out of feelings of obligation, but this year we used Kylie (and the fact that we made it home from DC at 6:30) as an excuse to stay home and do nothing. We have fondue on Christmas Eve, I'll have to suggest dates for next year...
Love the picture of Maggie on the potty. Kylie has been wanting to go to the "pa pa" lately, but I haven't taken a picture yet.
Hope your day at school was alright. I remember always dreading the first day back after summer, Christmas break, spring break, and well, sometimes just dreading Mondays!
Happy 2008 to you ~ maybe we can finally arrange a time to let our LJ girls meet!
Kristi
Maggie looks SO happy in the fondue pic -- that is one happy girl!! :) Beautiful!!!
I love the potty pic -- are the pajamas Carters? read my blog, you'll see, i've got some to exchange and i love the ones Maggie is wearing. hahaha
I feel the same way about NYE. Sometimes (rarely), if we have fun plans, I look forward to it. Otherwise, I mentally dread the day/night. It just feels like a lot of hype for not really anything in particular. And honestly, being out on the roads that night scares the beboogers out of me.
I hope you have a decent day back at the grind today. :)
Post a Comment