Thursday, January 03, 2008

Just stuff

I've been feeling kind of weird lately. David and I are getting ready to start paperchasing for our next adoption. However, our options seem so horribly limited at this time. China is essentially at a standstill. I knew when we were in China in 2006 that we would be back. The day that we received Maggie, I knew she wasn't going to be our only child. I just don't know what's going to happen next. We are leaning towards the special needs route at this time because, to be honest, it's faster. I felt like God was nudging at my heart regarding special needs when we had been home for a year with Maggie and could re-submit our dossier. It's just scary to think about. Adoption is already a lot of unknowns. Compounding the expected unknowns along with a medical issue, whether it be minor or major, is even scarier. I don't know what we can handle. And I know, when it's your child, you can handle anything, but what if we can't? And more pressing, to me, anyways, is I don't know what we can afford. Multiple surgeries are just not in the budget for us which knocks out cleft lip/cleft palate and limb differences. As I look over the waiting child lists, there are so many medical issues that I have to refer to Dr. Google. I've never heard of some of these conditions and I don't always understand the websites that are supposed to explain them. I kind of knocked David for a loop last night when I told him that I had been worrying about all this stuff and wasn't even sure if I wanted to proceed with another adoption. But I know that I do. I just don't want to wait for 5 years for a referral. I want Maggie and her sister to be closer in age than that. No, I'm going to be selfish. I don't want to wait that long for my child. I want her home with us. Not sitting in some orphanage across the world, waiting, just as we wait.

When we were waiting for Maggie, I was always sort of scathing of parents who already had kids but were waiting for a referral. I thought, "They could never feel the longing that I do for my child. They already HAVE kids. How can they be so sad? It's not possible." But now, I know. It is possible. You can have all the love in the world for your child who's at home with you but when you know that you have another child somewhere, nothing can fill that ache, that hole in your heart. And so, as 2008 begins, we have decisions to make. What will the outcome be? I have no idea. I read somewhere that "if God will lead you to it, God will lead you through it." If God planted that seed for our second child way back when we were in China to meet our first daughter, I have to trust that He will nurture that seed into a beautiful, blossoming plant.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Follow your heart and know that no matter what your decision is, you have our support!
Love you.

Anonymous said...

I know the right answer will reveal itself to you. You went through so much before you found Maggie, but she is unquestionably the child that was meant for you. Your next baby will come to you, too, and you'll know when your family is complete.

Renee Swope said...

Hey girl,

I was SO excited to see your comment on my blog and then to find yours! We just got back in town and today I am catching up on blogs I want to visit and friends I want to write. You are first on the list.

First, Maggie is beautiful and precious. Wow GOD!!! I am so

I came today. I have a friend who just got travel approval to pick up her son in China and they leave on Jan 10th. They applied for special needs and they are adopting a 3yr old boy who doesn't have one of his ears. She met with a doctor in Monroe and he wants to help them help their son. Alison, God will go before you and provide for your child and for your family. He has a plan that is amazing and I can't wait to hear about it.

If you want to visit Mandy's blog and hear their story, their site is
http://ourchildwaits.blogspot.com/

And guess what? We're taking the first steps toward adopting a daughter from Ethiopia. We have our fingerprinting done today and we schedule our home study this month. We'll be journaling our adventures on our family blog at http://www.hebrewsfaithcafe.blogspot.com/

I hope to start writing more about it in the next 2 weeks.

Love you friend,

Renee

www.ReneeSwope.com

Marissa said...

If He brings you to it, He will bring you through it!! I belive it!! As a mom of 4, I sooo "get" what you wrote about the longing. You love Maggie no less, it has nothing to do with her. Its YOU. Never underestimate your power as a mother -- you will love & nurture bebe #2 no matter what obstacles that child brings with it (her). GOOD LUCK -- I dreamt about it so it must really going to be happening! (LOL) :)

Jeanette said...

I can understand your frustrations and worry. After waiting almost 14 months already and the unfathomable thought we may have to wait another 3-4 more years it is painful. I completely understand your doubts and fears about SN as I am praying about the same thing. When we started, my boys were 6 and 3, and we were hoping there would only be 4 or 5 years between our daughter and our youngest son. Now it looks like there may be 8 or 9 years between our daughter and son. It's very disheartening and definitely not how we had envisioned our family when we started. BUT we continue to trust our "unkown future" to a known God and just pray and believe that this journey that He started us out on He will complete, in His time and in His way. While I may never understand it, I just have to trust that His will is perfect. Still it's hard so I feel your pain! I'll be praying for you as you continue to seek the Lord in this area!

Blessings,
Jeanette R.

by the way, Happy New Year! I'm sure Christmas this year with Maggie was wonderful!

Jon said...

Big guts to post your emotions like this... I should draw such courage. I remember a few years ago you and David "weren't ready to be parents" and so far you have made it. What ever will be will be... we love you guys so much. A&J

Kristi said...

I'm feeling your emotions on this one! We really should talk (in person ~ I'd love for our Lianjiang girls to meet!) sometime!

Kristi

Sandra said...

Even though I am not in your position, I must say that I totally get it...

Anonymous said...

a few years ago you had my wonderful child ( though he was not always that way for school work) I shared with you his birth history as it was about as bad as can get. Today he is a fabulous 14 yr old freshman in ap classes making straight A's. He is proof that miracles do exist. I was ready for the worst but seems all we really got was a slight tremor, bad handwriting and bad reaction to some stupid medication. You WILL be OK. There are good Doctors and programs for multiple surgeries if needed.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you'd be interested in this or just think I'm crazy, but I just heard that China has begun placing HIV+ infants, and the referrals are immediate (because they don't have ARVs available in country).

I completely understand that this isn't for everyone, but a wonderful woman I met through our Ethiopian adoption has already adopted one HIV+ baby from Ethiopia, and is waiting to get #2. I realized how little I knew about HIV from her, and how the kids (as long as they have drugs) will lead normal, healthy lives. HIV is now considered a "chronic manageable disease" like diabetes, something you never hear about in the press for whatever reason. Anyway, she's now working with an agency to faciliate HIV+ adoptions, and wrote a post about this development in China today. If you're interested, check it out. You can also read all about her HIV + kids (Belane and Salomon), and just her life in general. She's a really amazing person.

http://fullhousefullhandsfullhearts.blogspot.com/

It's on her Friday, Jan. 11, 2008 post.

Good luck with everything!
Danielle