Okay, so on Big Mama's blog, one that I frequent and one that you can find in my sidebar, she has challenged us to show our fashion staples. She asked, "What do you wear on a daily basis? What’s your uniform? What piece of clothing can you not live without?"
Well, I have quite a few articles of clothing without which I cannot live. (nice sentence to avoid a preposition at the end, right?)
Here we go...

Here's my side of the closet. Not too organized. I try to keep the summer clothes and the winter clothes separated but I'm not always successful. I took a peek at David's side of the closet just to see what his organizational style is. All of his shirts are separated by color. Well, he is an art teacher, so I guess I can let that go. Do you see my very fancy plastic lingerie chest over there in the corner? Nice, I tell you. Also, the linen closet is on my side, hence the shelves of towels.
I think I'll do my winter work wardrobe first since the lows next week are in the THIRTIES. Ugh. Stupid cold weather. I'm sick of it.

The ribbed turtleneck sweater. Think I have enough of them? I think the number one thing I like about these sweaters is that they do not have to be ironed. Hence, they get worn a LOT. They're all from Talbots except for the black one which is Ralph Lauren. Also, how about our funky shower curtain? I had a vision for our bathroom when we moved in and then the vision kind of left me so we have this shower curtain and that's all.

This is my black trench coat sweater. I LOVE IT. My college roommate talked me into buying it and then later expressed remorse and told me she was really just kidding and wanted to see if I would spend the money. It cost $120 and I would say that I've gotten my money's worth. I wear it with the ribbed turtleneck sweaters.

Winter work pants. And sometimes spring and fall too. I have worn the heck out of the 2 pairs of gray pants pictured here. The ones on the left are from NY and Co. and are KNIT and have an elastic waistband. Stylin'. The ones in the middle are from Target and are ancient and I love them. The black pants on the right are also from NY and Co. and are also knit. I like the NY and Co. pants but I think they are only good for a season because they are horribly pilled already and I bought them last fall. Maybe I shouldn't have put them in the washer and dryer. I also have a pair of black Old Navy dress pants that are awesome as well but I couldn't find them to take their picture.

Winter shoes. The black boots on the left are DEAD. I do not even know how long I've had them but I've about worn through the soles. Then I have 2 pairs of Privos, black and brown. The brown ones are ridiculously comfortable and I love them.

Moving on to the spring and summer wardrobe. I got all of these shirts at my shopping extravaganza at Ann Taylor Loft a few weeks ago. They're all kind of similar, no? I think I am going to be a big fan of the trapeze top or whatever it's called. They disguise a myriad of ah, figure inconsistencies, shall we say?

Summer skirts. I decided that our swirly shower curtain was too much of a distraction but the monkeys in Maggie's bathroom were
not. These skirts are all kind of old. I will just say now that my legs are rather unattractive and I am fairly self conscious about them so I am not always keen to have them hanging out. But I do live in NC and it gets to be extremely hot here in the summer, so shorter skirts and shorts are sometimes a necessity. I got these skirts at Kohl's, Ann Taylor Loft, and Macy's. I wore the black and gold one to dinner at the Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong so it has been well traveled.

Summer shoes. Ribbon flip flops from J. Crew, black Reefs and fake Crocs from Lands End. That is the extent of my casual summer shoe wardrobe. I have decided that I am burning all of my work summer shoes because they hurt my feet and I hate them and I am at an age where I'm not putting up with hurting feet in the name of fashion. The black Reefs also got worn to dinner at the Ritz because I did not pack for that kind of trip when we went to China.

If you came over on any given day after 4:30, this is probably what you'd see me wearing. Boot cut sweatpants or pajama bottoms. I also have some blue pajama bottoms with snowglobes on them that I got on eBay. I thought I was getting an $80 pair of Nick and Nora PJ's for a great deal but when they came, I found out that I had gotten ripped off on a pair of Target pajamas. Oh well, I love them anyway.

You might also find me wearing these black workout pants from Target. They're highwaters. Or I might be wearing these old skool sweatpants from my first 2 years of teaching at Kennedy Middle School. They have green paint all over them from painting Maggie's bedroom at our old house. I have recently rediscovered these sweatpants and I love them, even if they are 11 years old.

Here are my lounging shirts. I love all of them equally and they are equally beat up. Also, I had to pull all of them out of the dirty clothes so they could be photographed. I did not go to Penn State nor Weddington High school nor do I teach at either institution.

Here's what I wear on the weekends if I go to the grocery store or shopping. As a matter of fact, I have on this sweatshirt and the jeans in the middle
right now! I got both pairs of jeans at Eddie Bauer because in addition to having unattractive legs, I have a lower body that was
made for the mom jean, unfortunately, and it is difficult to find pants that don't sit right below my bra. These EB jeans do the trick because they are a lower rise and they are boot cut, which I like. The ones in the middle have some flower embroidery on the back pockets which I suspect might be dorky but I don't care.

The summer lounging (and sometime going out in public in) shirts. Starting from left, a shirt from Brevard College, which I did not attend, a shirt from the Strand bookstore in NYC, a Bon Jovi concert shirt from 2003 and a shirt from the Piggly Wiggly, which is a grocery store.

Capris and some bermuda shorts, even! These are all new and I haven't worn them yet. Kohl's and Target. I am unsure about the brown bermudas in the middle. They look really big to me.

These are my "dressier" t shirts. Haha. They are mostly from Old Navy or the Gap. The green one on the end is one of my favorites and I got it for $1.69 at Old Navy. It says something about Spokane on it, where I have never been, and it's the teensiest bit glittery, which I like. I have another Strand t shirt in there because I am apparently proud that I've been to it.
So, thus endeth my fashion fiesta post. I hope you weren't too bored looking at all my similar clothing. Here's a gratuitous picture of Maggie in some spring fashion because I know that's what my regular readers are here for anyway.
10 comments:
Wow! I think we all have black Reefs! For good reason.
I love your sweater trench coat, too.
Your little girl is very very cute!
give me a couple days but I want to do this too!
Oh yeah, rock out Piggly Wiggly!
Yeah I have noticed there is a Reef flip flop trend. I think I am the only one without a pair! LOL
Glad you participated!
So when we meet up to do our duo What Not To Wear taping, can we both wear our blue, red, pink fleece jammie pants together?!?!?! LOLOLOLOL man, i love you. :)
i LOVE the brown new shorts!!
Allison,
It has been ages since I've seen your blog- lost it one day and suddenly found it again. You just crack me up so much! This post was hysterical. What I found most funny was the thought of you laying all this stuff out and taking pictures of it. What a riot! I'm enjoying reading your blog again- always an honest laugh!
Laurie
Great clothing choices...but that little girl is the cutest! I enjoyed stopping by your blog. I hope you will come and visit my fashion fiesta!
Oh you have such teacher clothes! I am going to sign you up for one of those crazy makeover shows girl!
Wonderful staples!
I really like your summer collection. I also just got a pair of summer shoes from Jcrew.
Post a Comment