Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Good grief


We let Maggie stay up tonight so she could watch "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving."  I'm not sure how much she actually liked it.  She was mostly intrigued with Snoopy's little house. While we were watching it, I came to the conclusion that Peanuts TV specials are depressing!  I realize I may be committing a form of blasphemy but my gosh!  The kids ate toast, popcorn, pretzels and jellybeans for their Thanksgiving dinner because that was all Charlie Brown knew how to cook?  And then Peppermint Patty, who sounded like a man, YELLED at him?  That depressed me.  And the Halloween one, where Charlie Brown tries to make the ghost costume and cuts a million eye holes in the sheet?  And, of course, Christmas where he picks that sad little tree. Ugh.  Why so depressing, Charles Schulz?


Maggie is going to stay home from school tomorrow so she can help us get ready for our guests on Thursday.  Just a minute ago when I was putting her to bed, I asked her if she was going to help me cook tomorrow and she jumped up and gave me a huge hug!  She loves to help in the kitchen.  Too bad I don't like to work in the kitchen.  We are going to make Chex mix and maybe brine for the turkey again.  David was discussing making turkey noodle soup after all the festivities but I did not know that you had to use the carcass in order to make it.  Ick.  I will not be helping with that meal.

We are also going to take my car to the shop tomorrow because I drove over a couple of large staples and they are now lodged in my tires.  The perils of living in an under construction neighborhood.  I started pulling one out when I saw it in the tire and David yelled, "Don't pull it out!!!"  Oh yeah.  Guess that would have sped up the air loss in my tire, huh?

Tonight we went to Target with Kimberly and AK for our Kimmie's last maternity leave coffee date.  Not that those will end when she goes back to work or anything.  We had to do some shopping, of course, as Maggie needed some new black shoes and a new winter hat.  First I scared her in the toy section with this Yo Gabba Gabba toy.  I didn't know it was going to make her cry!
When you push that thing's foot, it sings and flops its arms around.  Maggie did NOT like that one bit.  Note to grandparents:  Do not purchase.  I tried to make her feel better with glittery black ballet flats but they were the wrong size.  I found some black "patent leather" shoes for her to try on.  She deemed them high heels and loved them immediately.  When we went to the hat section, I tried to steer her towards the purple fleece hats that were either striped or flowered because her winter coat is purple.  No.  This is what she picked.

Yes, that hat has a dog face on it and ears.  Maggie thought it was a lamb.  It is also size 12-18 MONTHS.  It fits her pinhead nicely though.  The mittens that it came with don't even have thumbs because they are for a BABY.  As much as she insists that "I'm growing" and "I'm bigger" and "I'm not a baby!" she surely did want that hat.  I didn't fight her on it.  Obviously.

"See my high heels?  
I want these in my bedroom."

We got the proofs for Maggie's school pictures and they are SO cute!  She did a great job smiling!  I'm so glad.  Now we just have to decide which ones to order.  And not accidentally throw out the proof sheet like we did last year.

David and I got pies from the PTSO's at our schools this week.  He brought home a homemade pecan pie and I brought home a gargantuan pumpkin pie.  You would not believe how big this pie is.  According to the box, it weighs over 3.5 pounds.  It's from Costco.  We are going to have some yummy desserts at Thanksgiving!  Barb is going to make Pioneer Woman's pumpkin caramel cheesecake.   And now readers, I need your opinion.  Should I make a carrot cake or something chocolate for the final dessert?  Remember, we're having about 20 people at our house, counting us, so I don't think there will be too many leftovers.  Thoughts? 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cajun sheath cake...lots of chocolate and nuts. Oh my poor nerdie granddaughter.

That pie was reviewed in the AJC and it has about 9,000 calories.

mom

Anonymous said...

OMG! That hat picture has me laughing like a crazy person. What a combination ... black patent high heels and a fluffy dog/lamb hat .. oh my.

Would it really be your house without chocolate? But carrot cake sounds good, too.

Jon said...

carrot cake AND chocolate... but really... just kidding... seriously...

Kristi said...

At least Maggie will wear a hat unlike my little freezy boy who shivers but rips hats off his head!