Thursday, November 27, 2008

Holy leftovers, Batman

I don't think Louie, our cat, is thankful for much this Thanksgiving.  He had to spend the day in the garage, due to 1 allergic guest and 1 nervous guest, thereby missing the chance for MUCH loving.  Then when he finally got to come back inside, after everyone left, he yowled around the house for a while and then pooped on the living room floor.  David jerked him up and was getting ready to throw him in the backyard.  I think not.  So, he has been relegated back to the garage.  Poor kitty.


Our Thanksgiving was food LADEN.  I perhaps overestimated the amount of food that 19 people could eat.  We cooked for around 190, I believe.

I have oft read of tables groaning with food and I think in our case, the tables really were groaning under the weight of the food.  Do you SEE all that food?  Let's start at the top left and I'll tell you what everything is.
Lasagna (yes, I know.  Weird.)
Sauce for said lasagna
Corn pudding.  OMG.  Creamed corn, 1 pint of half and half, 2 eggs, flour.  OMG.
Cauliflower (with Velveeta melted on top)
Cranberry stuff, both jellied and whole berry.  I do not eat either.
Mashed potatoes.  These were easily the best mashed potatoes I've ever made.  As someone said in the movie "While You Were Sleeping," those potatoes were so creamy.  They only had 2 blocks of cream cheese and a stick of butter in them, so I can't imagine what made them creamy.
Succotash.
Something that I can't figure out from the picture.  Oh, I know!  Ambrosia.  {angels singing}
Green bean casserole
Stuffing
Ham 
Turkey
Rolls
YUMMMMMMM.  

We made way too much food.  WAY TOO MUCH.  It did appear that wolverines descended upon the relish tray because all the black olives were gone in about 5 minutes.  I bet Maggie ate most of them.  We had lots of fun and there was deafening laughter from all tables, which is the sign of a good party, in my opinion.  Maggie was doted upon by pretty much everyone and she charmed David's 3 cousins who were here. 

This was the grown up table.  David and I were about dead on our feet at this point 
so we weren't really doing a great job of keeping the conversation going.

Here was one of the kid tables.  Note that we were eating on good china with sterling silver and drinking out of plastic cups. Also, that is a tablecloth tacked over the sliding glass door.  
Klassy.

I didn't take a picture of the real kid table with the little kids for some reason.  Sorry, Maggie fans.  

It was a good day and a good time.  And now I have to go plan my shopping list because I'm going to be at Target at 6 when it opens!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a spread!! looks like a great time.

Cindy M said...

Well, we hit Kohl's at the UNGODLY hour of 4 am, before we stood in the flipping cold for the better part of an hour at Target. Most missions accomplished...ready to head back out with the girls for round #2...I am SO taking a nap this afternoon!

And the food looks yummy! I've done the same thing...I think it's so hard to estimate how much to make for a large group!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cindy M said...

Well, we hit Kohl's at the UNGODLY hour of 4 am, before we stood in the flipping cold for the better part of an hour at Target. Most missions accomplished...ready to head back out with the girls for round #2...I am SO taking a nap this afternoon!

And the food looks yummy! I've done the same thing...I think it's so hard to estimate how much to make for a large group!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kristi said...

Yummy! The description of the mashed potatoes sounded so good... And we didn't have ambrosia on our table, I was robbed!
Good luck getting rid of all the leftovers!

Jon said...

That was so much fun... thank you for hosting. That was one of the most enjoyable Thanksgivings I have had.

Michelle said...

WOW!!! That's alot of food for the family :) better to have alot than not enough!!!!

Pam said...

Wow, that is some food! I'm coming to your house next year!

Pam