Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No news

I really have nothing to report around here.  I received a Thanksgiving present from a kid today.  That was a first.  I thought it was really nice though--pumpkin spice coffee, some homemade sugar cookies that I'm getting ready to go eat and a gift card to the movies!  The kid who gave it to me is the kind of kid I hope Maggie turns out to be.  I never see her in a bad mood, she is nice to everyone (as far as I can see) and she is willing to work with anyone.  I think she's super cool.  While we are discussing school, I believe that the heat is broken in my classroom.  I have the thermostat turned up to 86, but it always registers at 70.  I borrowed a thermometer from a science teacher and it showed that it was about 66-67 degrees.  When middle schoolers, who come to school in shorts and tank tops when it's 22 degrees outside, are complaining that they're cold in your classroom, it must be cold.


The school has been focusing on ways to combat bullying this week and they've had themes each day.  Today was tacky day (Bullying is Tacky) so I wore this teacher sweater vest that I got as a hand me down from my cousin.  While I will admit that yes, I have owned and worn several Christmas (okay and Halloween and Valentine's Day) sweaters, I would like to think I am past that period in my life.  However, several people either 1. asked me if I was wearing regular clothes or if I was trying to be tacky or 2. complimented me.  Y'ALL.  This sweater was in primary colors--mostly red and bright blue and yellow.  (David just informed me that was redundant.  HAHA.  I heart redundancy).  I had on a TURQUOISE turtleneck under it.  I had on gray dress pants with white athletic socks and running shoes.  That outfit did not match. Perhaps I should dress a little more carefully on non-theme days.  Tomorrow is "Tell Bullies to Lei Off," so we are to wear Hawaiian shirts and leis.  Grass skirts are not permitted.  DARN.  I don't have a Hawaiian shirt but I do have some leis!

Tonight Maggie and I went to Belk's to exchange a dress that I bought her for a size larger.  I think Maggie might finally be moving out of the 2T size.  While we were there, we browsed around and Maggie found this outfit that she LOVED.  It consisted of pale pink crushed velvet leggings and a swing top.  The shirt had a penguin on the front and had FUR around the hem. Maggie hugged it when she saw it and said, "I LOVE this.  It's silky!"  I whispered to her that it was also tacky.  She disagreed.   She also found these horrid princess jeans with a gold metal link belt.  She really likes a belt.   We have also been practicing her smile for her school picture tomorrow.  Maggie tends to look a little sullen in pictures.  Then we went to JCPenney (yes, we have a high end mall) where she wanted to look at all the Disney princess jewelry boxes, which we have looked at EVERY time we've gone to the mall.  Then we went to Sears and she was not looking where she was going and whammed into a display table.  She WAILED.  Then we went home.  She also told me, "We don't like Santa."  I told her that I did indeed like Santa.  She said she didn't like his beard and I reminded her that both her daddy and her PapPap have a beard.  She didn't care.

Well, I guess that is all.   Those cookies are calling my name.  

2 comments:

Tigger said...

I am so glad that EMma is not the only one that does not like Santa. We ran into him at the mall over the weekend and she about died! She does not like his boots, even though according to her I have the same ones! LOL!

Jon said...

I also love redundancy, really really love redundancy. My fantasy football team at work is called "Team Redundancy Team." I don't know what to say about the clothes, the students just told you that your outfit was not outside their expectations of what you would wear. Maybe a conference call with Big Mama would square that away. When I saw the velvet pants... I thought she and g-ma grace could rock matching jogging suits, how cute would that picture be? I am reminded of some BNL lyrics:

"Our world works in a weird way
I've heard them say a man with a beard may Frighten children or dogs but a moustache scares me more."