Well, tonight we had a most dramatic meltdown during dinner that resulted in a rather early bedtime. Maggie had to go to the potty while we were eating which I find very irritating. Because she sits in a booster seat, the plate and cup must be taken off the tray and then the tray has to be removed. (okay, reading that, it doesn't sound like that big a deal. It is, though!) Anyway, she went to the potty, messed around with washing her hands and finally returned to finish eating. She said, "I want to sit on the couch now," but I wouldn't let her because she ate about 2 bites of her food. When I told her she had to sit back in her chair and finish eating, she said, "I'm a little bit tired." Well, with that, I decided it was bedtime, swooped up her blankies and her and off we went upstairs. Whew, was there some crying. I felt kind of sorry for her as David brushed her teeth while she cried and cried. Finally, she calmed down and told me that her bed was very "comafortable" and so were her blankies, friends and clothes. I agreed that clothes should be comfortable and not tight. She said, "You gotta squat down if they're tight, Mommy!" HEE. I've been teaching her the tricks of getting freshly washed jeans a little looser. After a book and some rocking, she was ready for bed and off she went with 3 blankets and about a hundred stuffed animals. Oh, and David's watch and hankie, if she gets scared at night.
David's aunt Linda gave Maggie some hair accoutrements for Valentine's Day, which included a (play) hair dryer, brush and comb and curlers! Maggie had never seen curlers before and didn't know what they were. After I explained them to her and made a futile attempt at putting her hair in them, she decided she knew what to do.

Baby Jesus got her hair done!

Setting the curl with the hair dryer

And a kiss for good measure.
Maggie got invited to her first birthday party next Saturday. It's at Monkey Joe's, which is one of those inflatable bounce places. I've never actually been but Maggie and David have. Apparently, there is some guy dressed as a monkey who wanders around visiting with the kids. I told Maggie about the party and she said, "I don't wanna see that monkey!" Heh. She has gotten more excited about it now that we've talked about it a few times. She has also informed me that her birthday party is going to be there too. We'll see about that. I have finally clued into the fact that I need to prepare Maggie for upcoming events rather than getting her up one morning and saying, "Surprise! Guess what we're doing today!" We have been talking up the visit to Disney in April a lot and she is really excited.
Finally, to wrap things up, here are some pictures I took for the photography club at school. The assignment I gave the kids was to create a self-portrait without a self-portrait. There could be no faces in their photos at all and they were required to take a picture of the interior of their lockers. Some of them did a really good job. So, this is my self portrait w/o a self portrait all taken in my classroom.

I love pictures of kids' hands and feet.

One of my many bookcases.
I heart kid books.

My beloved.
Next to the board cleaner.

My other beloved.

Oh, I love this too.
It looks uncomfortable, but I can assure you,
it is not.

My version of my locker:
my desk drawer.
Exacto knife used on annoying students.

David ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon last weekend.
This is him at the finish--4:13!
He didn't really want his picture taken
but I was very proud of him!
If you'd like to try the self-portrait without a self-portrait, let me know so I can come see!
6 comments:
I guess it is never too early to teach girls about making a pair of freshly washed jeans fit better! I laughed when I read that part.
Just so you know, you aren't the only one that gets annoyed when your child decides dinner (or breakfast for that matter) is the best time to go potty...
And I'll add to Kristi's comment by sharing that Caroline doesn't have a high chair. She revolted against the strapped on booster chair idea for months, and I finally just got rid of it...I hated it anyway. Now we have a wooden "youth" chair, and it works great, but it doesn't keep her in the darn thing. If I'm not watching, she'll get up a dozen times during the meal...GRRRRRR...so we're working on that, along with threatening to get a real high chair with a belt!
Now, I'm loving that self-portrait idea. I'm going to have to do that. When I get around to it, I'll let you know...
That is awesome David! Maggie is getting so smart and so big. I think she performs better if she knows what to expect. I miss you guys, hope you are well.
WTG David.
I'm sooo jealous that you guys are hitting Disney in April! I wanna go too!! :) I bet Maggie will love it!
The first night we had an early bedtime without finishing dinner I'm not really sure who cried more. We have rules at our house and I don't stray from them very much, especially at dinner time. She takes a smidgen of something and acts like she's gagging as her tongue flails and eyes roll with full on sound effects. Those simply aren't good dinner manners.
Even though she knows what's going on and she apologizes for it, there are consequences and her actions get an appropriate reaction. Some think I'm hard, I think I have a [usually] pretty well-behaved kid who knows what's supposed to happen even though sometimes she strays from it.
Post a Comment