Sunday, February 08, 2009

Random crap

I think I will make a bulleted list because I have not organized my thoughts nor do I even know what I'm going to write about.

  • I find that I am having an increasingly hard time being patient with Maggie.  I know she is just being 3 but oh my goodness, she pushes my buttons.  We go to the Starbucks in Target every week with Kimberly and Anna Kathryn, who is 15 months old.  Maggie spends the majority of the visit saying, "I want a turn.  Her not sharing!  Her has (fill in the blank)!  I want one!" and by the end of the visit, my nerves are about to explode.  Thankfully, Kimberly is much more patient with Maggie than I am so the entire visit is not spent with me fussing at Maggie.  
  • I know Maggie can tell when she's getting on my nerves because just when I'm about to lose it and start really yelling, she comes out with, "I love you a whole much, Mommy.  You're my favorite."  And then I just feel guilty.  It seems like some moms never lose their patience or get irritated with their children and oh my GOODNESS.  How do they do it?  I think I am more patient with my 7th grade students than I am with my own child. Great mom, huh?
  • I think Maggie would benefit from having a sibling at times.  I would love to have another child around here for her to play with, fight with (at times) and learn to get along with. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon so I'll just leave it up to God.  
  • The weather was gorgeous today--70 degrees!--so we took full advantage of it and went for a walk around the neighborhood with Maggie.  We got Maggie's tricycle out so she could ride it but y'all.  She sucks at riding her trike.  She starts concentrating on steering and forgets to pedal.  She's so afraid that we might run off, I guess, that she's constantly turning around to check that we're still there and rides into the grass or a car.  Again, I had a really hard time being patient with her.  Maybe my expectations are too high.  What do you think?  Is that about right for a 3 1/2 year old riding a tricycle?  Are most 3 1/2 year olds that fearful that their parents are going to up and disappear?  Maybe it's an adoption thing.
  • Maggie has 2 Asian baby dolls--one from Corolle and one from American Girl.  They are both so cute and Maggie really enjoys taking care of them.  They are also naked.  All the time.  Tonight when I got home from getting ice cream with Kimberly, one of the dolls was face down on the floor and Maggie was sitting on its back.  I asked her what happened and she said the doll fell off the counter (I don't know) and she was making her better.  I don't know that I'd want someone sitting on my back if I fell off the counter but Maggie was holding a wadded up napkin on the doll's back.  Ice.  Also, the dolls' names?  Baby Jesus.  Both of them.  I told David, "Who knew the Son of God was actually an Asian girl?"
  • Maggie has started saying, "Nah nah nah boo boo" to which I cannot help but automatically respond, "Stick your hand in doo doo."  Real mature.  Great job there, Mom.
  • Louie's mouth is fine.  No cancer.  Just a really bad infection.  Yay.
Maggie's playing the Wii here.  She's pretty good at the guitar on Wii Music.

So that's pretty much what's going on around here.  


7 comments:

Tigger said...

I love how honest you are. I am so there with you. I think it has something to do with them being three. I too am completely on the verge of losing my patience on a daily basis! You always know how to make me feel like a better mom then I think I deserve to feel like sometimes. Thanks Allison. You are the bomb and I can't wait to see you in two months!

Brooke

Anonymous said...

No one ever has the patience that they wish they did with their own child. Ever. Other people, and teachers, usually do better. And she is 3. She has been so even keel for so long, you got spoiled ;

Cindy M said...

I confess, I should have told you...three is exponentially worse than two...a lesson I learned the hard way with my first. It was pretty much the same with Caroline. One day, she was the easiest two-year-old, and the next...well, not so easy.

Even the fourth time around, I'm not nearly as patient as I should be, so you are not alone. I have learned to laugh more with age...I love the "Nah nah nah nah boo boo" story...Caroline has actually gone through that phase, too. Now when she wants to be sassy (and tries to be cute at the same time) she sticks out her tongue and says, "Bleh, bleh!" Seriously difficult not to bust out laughing.

And I love that she names her dolls Baby Jesus. Hilarious.

Kristi said...

Just so you know, you ARE NOT the only mommy that loses her patience with a toddler girl. How do I know? Well let's just say it is from personal experience...
Asian girl baby Jesus? Who knew?
And as for the stick you head in doo doo, let's just say that I've been known to encourage a few totally inappropriate antics from my almost three year old instead of explaining to her why mooning your aunt is not acceptable behavior...

Anonymous said...

RE RE ,never had tht problem with her cherubs!!!!!
LB

Jon said...

I think you should try to smuggle an asian baby girl into the manger this Christmas... it would validate Maggie and go down as a classic church prank... that is What Would Jesus Do!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel your pain. Alex pressed my buttons BIG TIME! That's just a really hard age. Most people will tell you the same thing. Also, EVERYBODY loses it with their kid sometime. You're great - and she feels so safe and loved by you that she feels the freedom to act that way. I know that doesn't make it feel better, but I really think there's truth to it. Besides, a tough pre-schooler is certain to make even the weepiest mom happy to see Kindergarten start. Love the potty humor - yes, we indulge at our house, too.