Today when I got to the daycare to pick Maggie up, she wanted to show me how she could leap off of the play structure and hang on the monkey bars and slide down the slide, so I stood there and watched and had the chance to chat a little with her teachers. They said that I might be interested to know that Maggie had informed them that she would be getting a baby brother or sister soon. I told them that was news to me! We talked a little bit the other night about babies and adoption but I had no idea that was what was churning away in her brain. It's always so interesting to find out the little bits and pieces of her day that I miss when I'm at work. Maggie also told me that Abby didn't share today and which made Maggie cry! I don't exactly believe that. Maggie and Abby seem to be settling into a very typical girly friendship where they love each other one day and are mad at each other the next. I can't wait for girly drama in elementary school!
Yesterday, the superintendent paid a visit to my classroom. I didn't know he was coming and he had to TELL ME that he was in my room because I was so engrossed in my email. No, just kidding! He did let me know that he was in my room but it was because I was conferencing with a student about his writing and I didn't notice that he had come in. My students were either writing their personal essays or sprawled all over my room reading so the superintendent just wandered around and chatted with them. An assistant principal came in as well and the kid with whom I was conferencing muttered, "There's a lot of grown ups in here," under his breath. HEE. When the superintendent left, he said that there was a lot of reading going on in my room and that was what he liked to see. Whew.
So, tomorrow is the long awaited, or dreaded day--the faculty-student basketball game. Uggghh. I am nervous! I stayed after school to play with some other teachers and one of them told me to quit line driving the ball toward the basket because it would never make it in that way. Luckily, one of the other teachers who stayed after today squealed every time the ball came near her so that made me feel a little better. And after I saw the teacher cheerleaders, I really felt better. I would rather play basketball naked than cheer lead in front of a gym full of middle schoolers.
Finally, I have re-instituted the quote of the day in my classroom. When kids say something particularly ridiculous or funny, it is added to my marker board. The one that is currently up is from when we were working on proper adjectives. The kids were given a list of countries and they had to make adjectives out of them. They were stumped by Ireland for some reason, so I was hinting around at the answer and asked them what someone from Ireland would be called. One of my students (who I had been raving about that morning) said, "Scottish?" I about died laughing on the spot and told her she was incorrect. Then she asked, well, then where is a Scottish person from? Oh, dear. The kids also thought that someone from Rome was Romanian. I'm glad I don't teach social studies.

And here is a picture from one year ago exactly! Our baby has been sleeping in a big girl bed (well, converted crib) for one year! Maybe she'll be in a real bed by this time next year.
3 comments:
I'll be cheering you on tomorrow, Gatorade in hand in lieu of mochas!
the drama will be fun... romanians from rome makes much more sense than scottish people from Ireland. I wonder if you asked them what people from India are called.. since we call our native americans indians then they will be confused.
Good luck with the b-ball! :o)
Don't you love those unannounced observations. Don't you love it even more when everything is going just the way it is supposed to??? Whew!
As a teacher of both SS and Language Arts, OMGoodness! That is too funny! My kids had a terrible time with the countries of Turkey, Poland, Denmark and the West Indies. Hee hee. "There's a country called Turkey?!?" I LOVE kids! :o)
Post a Comment