Monday, July 27, 2009

Catching up, part 1

Oh my GOODness, y'all!  It has been too long, right?  I know.  I got a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of catch up posts I need to do!  On a completely unrelated note, I went for a walk around the neighborhood just a little earlier as the 3 of us took a nap that lasted until SIX THIRTY.  I was astounded by the number of people who leave their blinds open at night and I could totally see right into their houses.  Have these people NEVER watched a horror movie? Don't they know the killers stand outside houses and look in the windows??  And then the killers take pictures of them and go home to their dingy apartments and plaster the walls with the photos? We live in a safe, well-lit neighborhood and I was not the slightest bit afraid while I was walking around but I had my escape plan mapped out in the event someone tried to GET ME.


Moving on.  We went to Pittsburgh for the weekend during the last week of June.  David's cousin graduated from high school this year and his family was having a big bash for him.  David's mom and grandmother, who both live here, were going to go, so we all decided to go together and we would drive them up there.  We left bright and early with all of our stuff and ourselves stuffed into my CR-V.  We didn't have much time once we arrived to hang around the hotel, which I kind of wanted to do, because we were already a little bit late for the big bash.  We got all dressed up and headed over to the country club where the party was being held.  The party itself was much like a wedding reception with a DJ and dance floor, great buffet, open bar (I did not partake of it the way I did at Meredith and Joe's wedding, to everyone's chagrin), a giant cake and maybe the best part of all, an ice cream sundae bar!  Now, those of you who know Maggie, know that she is a little quiet and shy when she gets around a new group of people but she is NOT that way around David's cousins.  She LOVES them.  She calls them "my friends" and spent a lot of time following them around the dance floor.

Maggie holding court 

Maggie especially loves Scott, who is the boy in the blue polo in the photo.  I think the feeling is mutual and I have never seen 3 boys who were more willing to dance with a 3 year old and carry her around and keep an eye on her.  Maggie tore up the dance floor and did NOT want to leave at 11:00 when we were all exhausted.

Hee!

After a couple of glasses of wine and some ice cream from the sundae bar, I was ready to hit the dance floor too.  Thankfully, there are few pictures of that.

Maggie and the graduate, Fran, get their groove on

This may be one of my favorite pictures EVER.
I think Maggie's going to have a good time in college, eh?

Alright, I think that's enough of the Pittsburgh trip for tonight.  I have more pictures of our visit to David's aunt's house that I will post tomorrow.  Today, I went over to a co-worker's house so we could plan for the upcoming school year and we are now planned for the ENTIRE year, by the way, and Maggie came with me.  My co-worker has an almost 10 year old daughter who really likes Maggie and is AWESOME with her.  Maggie took about 3 minutes to warm up to Maddy and then they headed off to Maddy's bedroom to have some "adventures" as they called them.  My co-worker also has a rising 9th grade daughter who had some friends over to practice for cheerleading tryouts and they all took a shine to Maggie as well.  They painted her fingernails and toenails and did her makeup.  She looked GOOD!  She had lots of glittery eye shadow and dark eyeliner drawn out past the edge of her eye.  Nice.  Speaking of makeup, Meredith and Joe were here for the weekend and I took Meredith up to Ulta on Saturday.  We were browsing and I was ignoring Maggie for the most part.  She asked if she could try on some sample lipsticks and I distractedly told her she could.  The next time I looked at her, she had on about 6 inches of "Black Amethyst" lipstick.  Awesome.

4 comments:

Terriwc said...

I have so totally missed your writing. Hil.ar.ious! You have such the knack for understatement and the good wry wit. I miss Miss Maggie...and all of you. I hope we are in the same place at the same time soon. Ulta..I have never heard of Ulta until yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Yes, way too long, but this was worth the wait. Considering how busy your summer has been,you may need several installments to catch up! LOVE the little dancer!

glenna said...

Love the pics. Too bad you didn't get one of Maggie's painted lips. haha

Cindy M said...

I've missed your blogging, too! But I haven't been much better this summer. I still haven't finished my trip from early this summer. I am a BAD blogger.

Yes, I just read your post about Maggie dancing, and I do believe those girls were cut from a very similar mold! We simply MUST get together one of these days! Any chance at all you are going to the National Reunion? We're going (sans our older two kids), and so are the Kylie and fam. I can't wait to see Amy and Lineker's baby!