This morning, I was in a good mood when Maggie awakened me at 7:05 (better than yesterday's 6:11) and we headed downstairs to eat breakfast and read the paper. Maggie agreed to let me watch the weather while I drank some coffee and then I switched it over to "Max and Ruby" for her. She ate a bowl of oatmeal, drank some milk and hit the bathroom. Then. THEN, her she started complaining that her belly hurt. She writhed around on the couch and cried and laid on me and pulled her shirt up and down. I found some Emetrol in the cabinet and gave her a bit. That stuff usually does the trick but not so today. We returned to the couch for more writhing and thrashing and crying. I'm sure she appreciated me eating a Toaster Strudel while she laid there with a stomach ache. I gave Maggie some Sprite, which was a major treat, and suddenly, the Emetrol worked. I do not enjoy the throwing up illnesses at ALL but Maggie is a champ at making it to the bathroom. She did not miss one time.
The original plan was for us to meet David at church but since all this action occurred, we remained on the sofa. Maggie spent most of the morning sleeping off and on, crying off and on and complaining of belly aches. I got my AAP Caring for your Baby and Young Child book, immediately diagnosed Maggie with appendicitis and spent a lot of time asking her to point to where her stomach hurt. Maggie also kept taking her shirt off and then complaining that she was cold and after the 50th time THAT occurred, my patience had essentially run out. She did fall asleep in our bed for a while and I was able to cut out coupons in peace. Then we went downstairs where I tried to watch a horror movie but Maggie kept waking up, so I changed the channel very hurriedly back to 90210 multiple times, because that's also appropriate. I also cleaned the bathroom with 409 about a hundred times because I do NOT want to get The Sick. Then Maggie wanted me to read Caring for your Baby and Young Child to her and when I wouldn't, she became very upset and cried. Thank goodness David came home shortly after that and I was able to escape to Target and Harris Teeter to do the shopping. After I ate 2 Mounds bars and some candy corn for lunch.
I figured we would dose Maggie up with some medication and pack her off to school tomorrow like we have done in the past, even though the school sent home a letter telling the parents NOT to do that but in the end, I decided just to stay home with her. She appeared to have a miraculous healing tonight right before bed and ate a bunch of pretzels and tried to make up for all the talking she did not do today.
Needless to say, I did not take any pictures of today's carnage but I will paint a picture of what David saw when he got home. Me still in pajamas on couch, Maggie in pajamas asleep on me on couch, me on the internet, table littered with used tissues, half empty glass of sprite, bowl of uneaten Cheerios, bathroom light on, thermometer on kitchen counter (which incidentally, I do not think works, because it said Maggie's temperature hovered between 94 and 96 all morning), and dirty dishes everywhere. Awesome.
Hopefully we will have a healing day tomorrow. I think it's supposed to rain and be chilly. Maybe I can grade all the 24571 papers I brought home. Maybe I'll just let Maggie put grades on them instead.
3 comments:
aw, hope she feels 100% better today!!
In my experience, having a child grade papers would mean just as much to my students as me grading them...
Hope Miss Maggie is back to normal soon. Oh, and when we suspected Ky had appendicitis a few months ago, the on call nurse told me to have her hop on one foot. If she can do it with no pain then the appendix is not the problem. Sadly it doesn't say what is...
I'm so sorry Maggie was sick (hopefully, she's better by now). I would almost rather my kids have appendicitis than the plain old puking thing. I HATE IT. I'll tell you, though, that round two of a teenager with a bad ankle who marches bass drum in the state champion band hasn't been a picnic so far, either.
And you always make me laugh because you're so very real!
Now, excuse me while I go pray that my kids don't get some icky virus. I am at my personal limit for the time being.
Post a Comment